• 欢迎访问尚仁诗歌网站,一起赏析现代诗歌之美,喜欢诗歌的朋友,欢迎加入尚仁诗歌网【草根诗人】qq群。 QQ群
  • 尚仁诗歌网部分作品来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,不代表本站立场,如有侵权请联系管理员删除。
  • 尚仁诗歌网每周定时更新稿件作品,其他工作日待更,请理解和支持!尚仁诗歌网所有作品禁止转载。
  • 牛寺诗歌网已改名为尚仁诗歌网,可抖音搜索尚仁诗歌网&尚仁诗歌,期待您的关注!
  • 尊敬的作者朋友!目前平台对长期供稿的诗人提供送书活动,您将获得“尚仁诗歌”图书一册,如您有兴趣,请与我们联系!注:送书带来的快递费用,由您本人承担!

泰戈尔园丁集-中英对照版

诗歌大全 尚仁 3134次浏览 0个评论

泰戈尔园丁集-中英对照版

泰戈尔的园丁集

作者:泰戈尔 翻译:冰心

1
 
Servant
 
仆 人
 
HAVE mercy upon your servant, my queen!
 
请对您的仆人开恩吧,我的女王!
 
Queen
 
女 王
 
The assembly is over and my servants are all gone. Why do you come at this late hour?
 
集会已经开过,我的仆人们都走了。你为什么来得这么晚呢?
 
Servant
 
仆 人
 
When you have finished with others, that is my time.
 
I come to ask what remains for your last servant to do.
 
您同别人谈过以后,就是我的时间了。
 
我来问有什么剩余的工作,好让您的最末一个仆人去做。
 
Queen
 
女 王
 
What can you expect when it is too late?
 
在这么晚的时间你还想做什么呢?
 
Servant
 
仆 人
 
Make me the gardener of your flower garden.
 
让我做您花园里的园丁吧
 
Queen
 
女 王
 
What folly is this?
 
这是什么傻想头呢?
 
Servant
 
仆 人
 
I will give up my other work.
 
I throw my swords and lances down in the dust. Do not send me to distant courts; do not bid me undertake new conquests. But

make me the gardener of your flower garden.
 
我要搁下别的工作。
 
我把我的剑矛扔在尘土里。不要差遣我去遥远的宫廷;
 
不要命令我做新的征讨。只求您让我做花园里的园丁。
 
Queen
 
女 王
 
What will your duties be?
 
你的职责是什么呢?
 
Servant
 
仆 人
 
The service of your idle days.
 
I will keep fresh the grassy path where you walk in the morning, where your feet will be greeted with praise at every step by

the flowers eager for death.
 
I will swing you in a swing among the branches of the saptaparna, where the early evening moon will struggle to kiss your

skirt through the leaves.
 
I will replenish with scented oil the lamp that burns by your bedside, and decorate your footstool with sandal and saffron

paste in wondrous designs.
 
为您闲散的日子服务。
 
我要保持您晨兴散步的草径清爽新鲜,您每一移步将有甘于就死的繁花以赞颂来欢迎您的双足。
 
我将在七叶树的枝间推送您的秋千;向晚的月亮将挣扎着从叶隙里吻您的衣裙。
 
我将在您床边的灯盏里添满香油,我将用檀香和番红花膏在您脚垫上涂画上美妙的花样。
 
Queen
 
女 王
 
What will you have for your reward?
 
你要什么酬报呢?
 
Servant
 
仆 人
 
To be allowed to hold your little fists like tender lotus-buds and slip flower chains over your wrists; to tinge the soles of

your feet with the red juice of askoka petals and kiss away the speck of dust that may chance to
 
linger there.
 
只要您允许我像握着嫩柔的菡萏一般地握住您的小拳,把花串套上您的纤腕;允许
 
我用无忧花的红汁来染你的脚底,以亲吻来拂去那偶然留在那里的尘埃。
 
Queen
 
女 王
 
Your prayers are granted, my servant, your will be the gardener of my flower garden.
 
你的祈求被接受了,我的仆人,你将是我花园里的园丁。
 
2
 
“AH, poet, the evening draws near; your hair is turning grey.
 
“呵,诗人,夜晚渐临;你的头发已经变白。
 
“Do you in your lonely musing hear the message of the hereafter?”
 
“在你孤寂的沉思中听到了来生的消息么?”
 
“It is evening,” the poet said,” and I am listening because some one may call from the village, late though it be.
 
“是夜晚了。”诗人说,”夜虽已晚,我还在静听,因为也许有人会从村中呼唤。
 
“I watch if young straying hearts meet together, and two pairs of eager eyes beg for music to break their silence and speak

for them.
 
“我看守着,是否有年轻的飘游的心聚在一起,两对渴望的眼睛切求有音乐来打破他们的沉默,并替他们说话。
 
“Who is there to weave their passionate songs, if I sit on the shore of life and contemplate death and the beyond?
 
“如果我坐在生命的岸边默想着死亡和来世,又有谁来编写他们的热情的诗歌呢?
 
“The early evening star disappears.
 
“早现的晚星消隐了。
 
“The glow of a funeral pyre slowly dies by the silent river.
 
“火葬灰中的红光在沉静的河边慢慢地熄灭下去。
 
“Jackals cry in chorus from the courtyard of the deserted house in the light of the worn-out moon.
 
“残月的微光下,胡狼从空宅的庭院里齐声嗥叫。
 
“If some wanderer, leaving home, come here to watch the night and with bowed head listen to the murmur of the darkness, who

is there to whisper the secrets of life into his ears if I shutting my doors, should try to free myself from mortal bonds?
 
“假如有游子们离了家,到这里来守夜,低头静听黑暗的微语,有谁把生命的秘密向他耳边低诉呢,如果我关起门户,企图摆脱世俗的牵缠?
 
“It is a trifle that my hair is turning grey.
 
“我的头发变白是一件小事。
 
“I am ever as young or as old as the youngest and the oldest of this village.
 
“我是永远和这村里最年轻的人一样年轻,最年老的人一样年老。
 
“Some have tears that well up in the daylight, and others tears that are hidden in the gloom.
 
“有的人发出甜柔单纯的微笑,有的人眼里含着狡狯的闪光。
 
“They all have need for me, and I have no time to brood over the
 
afterlife.
 
“他们都需要我,我没有时间去冥想来生。
 
“I am of an age with each, what matter if my hair turns grey?”
 
“我和每一个人都是同年的,我的头发变白了又该怎样呢?”
 
3
 
In the morning I cast my net into the sea.
 
早晨我把网撒在海里。
 
I dragged up from the dark abyss things of strange aspect and strange beauty——some shone like a smile, some glistened like

tears, and some were flushed like the cheeks of a bride.
 
我从沉黑的深渊拉出奇形奇美的东西——有些微笑般地发亮,有些眼泪般地闪光,有的晕红得像新娘的双颊。
 
When with the day’s burden I went home, my love was sitting in the garden idly tearing the leaves of a flower.
 
当我携带着这一天的担负回到家里的时候,我爱正坐在园里悠闲地扯着花叶。
 
I hesitated for a moment, and then placed at her feet all that I had dragged up, and stood silent.
 
我沉吟了一会,就把我捞得的一切放在她的脚前,沉默地站着。
 
She glanced at them and said, “What strange things are these? I know not of what use they are!”
 
她瞥了一眼说:”这是些什么怪东西?我不知道这些东西有什么用处!”
 
I bowed my head in shame and thought, “I have not fought for these, I did not buy them in the market; they are not fit gifts

for her.”
 
我羞愧得低了头,心想:”我并没有为这些东西去奋斗,也不是从市场里买来的;
 
这不是一些配送给她的礼物。”
 
Then the whole night through I flung them one by one into the street.
 
整夜的工夫我把这些东西一件一件地丢到街上。
 
In the morning travellers came; they picked them up and carried them into far countries.
 
早晨行路的人来了;他们把这些拾起带到远方去了。
 
4
 
Ah me, why did they build my house by the road to the market town?
 
我真烦,为什么他们把我的房子盖在通向市镇的路边呢?
 
They moor their laden boats near my trees.
 
他们把满载的船只拴在我的树上。
 
They come and go and wander at their will.
 
他们任意地来去游逛。
 
I sit and watch them; my time wears on.
 
我坐着看着他们,光阴都消磨了。
 
Turn them away I cannot. And thus my days pass by.
 
我不能回绝他们。这样我的日子便过去了。
 
Night and day their steps sound by my door.
 
日日夜夜他们的足音在我门前震荡。
 
Vainly I cry, “I do not know you.”
 
我徒然地叫道:”我不认识你们。”
 
Some of them are known to my fingers, some to my nostrils, the blood in my veins seems to know them, and some are known to

my dreams.
 
有些人是我的手指所认识的,有些人是我的鼻官所认识的,我脉管中的血液似乎认得他们,有些人是我的魂梦所认识的。
 
Turn them away I cannot. I call them and say, “Come to my house whoever chooses. Yes, come.”
 
我不能回绝他们。我呼唤他们说:”谁愿意到我房子里来就请来吧。对了,来吧。”
 
In the morning the bell rings in the temple.
 
清晨,庙里的钟声敲起。
 
They came with baskets in their hands.
 
他们提着筐子来了。
 
Their feet are rosy-red. The early light of dawn is on their faces.
 
他们的脚像玫瑰般红。熹微的晨光照在他们脸上。
 
Turn them away I cannot. I call them and I say, “Come to my garden to gather flowers. Come hither.”
 
我不能回绝他们。我呼唤他们说:”到我园里来采花吧。到这里来吧。”
 
In the mid-day the gong sounds at the palace gate.
 
中午,锣声在庙殿门前敲起。
 
I know not why they leave their work and linger near my hedge.
 
我不知道他们为什么放下工作在我篱畔流连。
 
The flowers in their hair are pale and faded; the notes are languid in their flutes.
 
他们发上的花朵已经褪色枯萎了,他们横笛里的音调也显得乏倦。
 
Turn them away I cannot. I call them and say, “The shade is cool under my trees. Come, friends.”
 
我不能回绝他们。我呼唤他们说:”我的树荫下是凉爽的。来吧,朋友们。”
 
At night the crickets chirp in the woods.
 
夜里蟋蟀在林中唧唧地叫。
 
Who is it that comes slowly to my door and gently knocks?
 
是谁慢慢地来到我的门前轻轻地敲叩?
 
I vaguely see the face, not a word is spoken, the stillness of the sky is all around.
 
我模糊地看到他的脸,他一句话也没说,四围是天空的静默。
 
Turn away my silent guest I cannot. I look at the face through the dark, and hours of dreams pass by.
 
我不能回绝我的沉默的客人。我从黑暗中望着他的险,梦幻的时间过去了。
 
5
 
I am restless. I am athirst for faraway things.
 
我心绪不宁。我渴望着遥远的事物。
 
My soul goes out in a longing to touch the skirt of the dim distance.
 
我的灵魂在极想中走出,要去摸触幽暗的远处的边缘。
 
O Great Beyond, O the keen call of thy flute!
 
呵,”伟大的来生”,呵,你笛声的高亢的呼唤!
 
I forget, I ever forget, that I have no wings to fly, that I am bound in this spot evermore.
 
我忘却了,我总是忘却了,我没有奋飞的翅翼,我永远在这地点系住。我切望而又清醒,我是一个异乡的异客。
 
I am eager and wakeful, I am a stranger in a strange land.
 
我切望而又清醒,我是一个异乡的异客。
 
Thy breath comes to me whispering an impossible hope.
 
你的气息向我低语出一个不可能的希望。
 
Thy tongue is known to my heart as its very own.
 
我的心懂得你的语言,就像它懂得自己的语言一样。
 
O Far-to-seek, O the keen call of thy flute!
 
呵,”遥远的寻求”,呵,你笛声的高亢的呼唤!
 
I forget, I ever forget, that I know not the way, that I have not the winged horse.
 
我忘却了,我总是忘却了,我不认得路,我也没有生翼的马。
 
I am listless, I am a wanderer in my heart.
 
我心绪不宁,我是自己心中的流浪者。
 
In the sunny haze of the languid hours, what vast vision of thine takes shape in the blue of the sky!
 
在疲倦时光的日霭中,你广大的幻象在天空的蔚蓝中显现!
 
O Farthest end, O the keen call of thy flute!
 
呵,”最远的尽头”,呵,你笛声的高亢的呼唤!
 
I forget, I ever forget, that the gates are shut everywhere in the house where I dwell alone!
 
我忘却了,我总是忘却了,在我独居的房子里,所有的门户都是紧闭的!
 
6
 
The tame bird was in a cage, the free bird was in the forest.
 
驯养的鸟在笼里,自由的鸟在林中。
 
They met when the time came, it was a decree of fate.
 
时间到了,他们相会,这是命中注定的。
 
The free bird cries, “O my love, let us fly to wood.”
 
自由的鸟说:”呵,我爱,让我们飞到林中去吧。”
 
The cage bird whisper, “Come hither, let us both live in the cage.”
 
笼中的鸟低声说:”到这里来吧,让我俩都住在笼里。”
 
Says the free bird, “Among bars, where is there room to spread one’s wings?”
 
自由的鸟说:”在栅栏中间,哪有展翅的余地呢?”
 
“Alas,” cries the cage bird, “I should not know where to sit perched in the sky.”
 
“可怜呵,”笼中的鸟说,”在天空中我不晓得到哪里去牺息。”
 
The free bird cries, “My darling, sing the songs of the woodlands.”
 
自由的鸟叫唤说:”我的宝贝,唱起林野之歌吧。”
 
The cage bird says, “Sit by my side, I’ll teach you the speech of the learned.”
 
笼中的鸟说:”坐在我旁边吧,我要教你说学者的语言。”
 
The forest bird cries, “No, ah no! songs can never be taught.”
 
自由的鸟叫唤说:”不,不!歌曲是不能传授的。”
 
The cage bird says, “Alas for me, I know not the songs of the woodlands.”
 
笼中的鸟说:”可怜的我呵,我不会唱林野之歌。”
 
Their love is intense with longing, but they never can fly wing to wing.
 
他们的爱情因渴望而更加热烈,但是他们永不能比翼双飞。
 
Through the bars of the cage they look, and vain is their wish to know each other.
 
他们隔栏相望,而他们相知的愿望是虚空的。
 
They flutter their wings in yearning, and sing, “Come closer, my love!”
 
他们在依恋中振翼,唱说:”靠近些吧,我爱!”
 
The free bird cries, “It cannot be, I fear the closed doors of the cage,”
 
自由的鸟叫唤说:”这是做不到的,我怕这笼子的紧闭的门。”
 
The cage bird whispers, “Alas, my wings are powerless and dead.”
 
笼里的鸟低声说:”我的翅翼是无力的,而且已经死去了。”
 
7
 
O mother, the young Prince is to pass by our door, ——how can I attend to my work this morning?
 
呵,母亲,年轻的王子要从我们门前走过,——今天早晨我哪有心思干活呢?
 
Show me how to braid up my hair; tell me what garment to put on.
 
教给我怎样挽发;告诉我应该穿哪件衣裳。
 
Why do you look at me amazed, mother?
 
你为什么惊讶地望着我呢,母亲?
 
I know well he will not glance up once at my window; I know he will pass out of my sight in the twinkling of an eye; only the

vanishing strain of the flute will come sobbing to me from afar.
 
我深知他不会仰视我的窗户;我知道一刹那间他就要走出我的视线以外;只有那残电的笛声将从远处向我呜咽。
 
But the young Prince will pass by our door, and I will put on my best for the moment.
 
但是那年轻的王子将从我们门前走过,这时节我要穿上我最好的衣裳。
 
O mother, the young Prince did pass by our door, and the morning sun flashed from his chariot.
 
呵,母亲,年轻的王子已经从我们门前走过了,从他的车辇里射出朝日的金光。
 
I swept aside the veil from my face, I tore the ruby chain from my neck and flung it in his path.
 
我从脸上掠开面纱,我从颈上扯下红玉的颈环,扔在他走来的路上。
 
Why do you look at me amazed, mother?
 
你为什么惊讶地望着我呢,母亲?
 
I know well he did not pick up my chain; I know it was crushed under his wheels leaving a red stain upon the dust, and no one

knows what my gift was nor to whom.
 
我深知他没有拾起我的颈环;我知道它在他的轮下碾碎了,在尘土上留下了红斑,
 
But the young Prince did pass by our door, and I flung the jewel from my breast before his path.
 
但是那年轻的王子曾经从我们门前走过,我也曾经把我胸前的珍宝丢在他走来的路上了。
 
8
 
When the lamp went out by my bed I woke up with the early birds.
 
当我床前的灯熄灭了,我和晨鸟一同醒起。
 
I sat at my open window with a fresh wreath on my loose hair.
 
我在散发上戴上新鲜的花串,坐在洞开的窗前。
 
The young traveller came along the road in the rosy mist of the morning.
 
那年轻的行人在玫瑰色的朝霭中从大路上来了。
 
A pearl chain was on his neck, and the sun’s ray fell on his crown. He stopped before my door and asked me with an eager cry,

“Where is she?”
 
珠链在他的颈上,阳光在他的冠上。他停在我的门前,用切望的呼声问我:”她在哪里呢?”
 
For very shame I could not say, “She is I, young traveller, she is I.”
 
因为深深害羞,我不好意思说出:”她就是我,年轻的行人,她就是我。”
 
It was dusk and the lamp was not lit.
 
黄昏来到,还未上灯。
 
I was listlessly braiding my hair.
 
我心绪不宁地编着头发。
 
The young traveller came on his chariot in the glow of the setting sun.
 
在落日的光辉中年轻的行人驾着车辇来了。
 
His horses were foaming at the mouth, and there was dust on his gament.
 
他的驾车的马,嘴里喷着白沫,他的衣袍上蒙着尘土。
 
He alighted at my door and asked in a tired voice, “Where is she?”
 
他在我的门前下车,用疲乏的声音问:”她在哪里呢?”
 
For very shame I could not say, “She is I, weary traveller, she is I.”
 
因为深深害羞,我不好意思说出:”她就是我,愁倦的行人,她就是我。”
 
It is an April night. The lamp is burning in my room.
 
一个四月的夜晚。我的屋里点着灯。
 
The breeze of the south comes gently. The noisy parrot sleeps in its cage.
 
南风温柔地吹来。多言的鹦鹉在笼里睡着了。
 
My bodice is the colour of the peacock’s throat, and my mantle is green as young grass.
 
我的衷衣和孔雀颈毛一样地华彩,我的披纱和嫩草一样地碧青。
 
I sit upon the floor at the window watching the deserted street.
 
我坐在窗前地上看望着冷落的街道。
 
Through the dark night I keep humming, “She is I, despairing traveller, she is I.”
 
在沉黑的夜中我不住地低吟着,”她就是我,失望的行人,她就是我。”
 
9
 
When I go alone at night to my love-tryst, birds do not sing, the wind does not stir, the houses on both sides of the street

stand silent.
 
当我在夜里独赴幽会的时候,鸟儿不叫,风儿不吹,街道两旁的房屋沉默地站立着。
 
It is my own anklets that grow loud at every step and I am ashamed.
 
是我自己的脚镯越走越响使我羞怯。
 
When I sit on my balcony and listen for his footsteps, leaves do not rustle on the trees, and the water is still in the river

like the sword on the knees of a sentry fallen asleep.
 
当我站在凉台上倾听他的足音,树叶不摇,河水静止像熟睡的哨兵膝上的刀剑。
 
It is my own heart that beats wildly——I do not know how to quiet it.
 
是我自己的心在狂跳——我不知道怎样使它宁静。
 
When my love comes and sits by my side, when my body trembles and my eyelids droop, the night darkens, the wind blows out

the lamp, and the clouds draw veils over the stars.
 
当我爱来了,坐在我身旁,当我的身躯震颤,我的眼睫下垂,夜更深了,风吹灯灭,云片在繁星上曳过轻纱。
 
It is the jewel at my own breast that shines and gives light. I do not know how to hide it.
 
是我自己胸前的珍宝放出光明。我不知道怎样把它遮起。
 
10
 
Let your work be, bride. Listen, the guest has come.
 
放下你的工作吧,我的新娘。听,客人来了。
 
Do you hear, he is gently shaking the chain which fastens the door?
 
你听见没有,他在轻轻地摇动那拴门的链子?
 
See that your anklets make no loud noise, and that your step is not overhurried at meeting him.
 
小心不要让你的脚镯响出声音,在迎接他的时候你的脚步不要太急。
 
Let your work be, bride, the guest has come in the evening.
 
放下你的工作吧,新娘,客人在晚上来了。
 
No, it is not the ghostly wind, bride, do not be frightened.
 
不,这不是一阵阴风,新娘,不要惊惶。
 
It is the full moon on a night of April; shadows are pale in the courtyard; the sky overhead is bright.
 
这是四月夜中的满月,院里的影子是暗淡的,头上的天空是明亮的。
 
Draw your veil over your face if you must, carry the lamp to the door if you fear.
 
把轻纱遮上脸,若是你觉得需要;提着灯到门前去,若是你害怕。
 
No, it is not the ghostly wind, bride, do not be frightened.
 
不,这不是一阵阴风,新娘,不要惊惶。
 
Have no word with him if you are shy; stand aside by the door when you meet him.
 
若是你害羞就不必和他说话,你迎接他的时候只须站在门边。
 
If he asks you questions, and if you wish to, you can lower your eyes in silence.
 
他若问你话,若是你愿意这样做,你就沉默地低眸。
 
Do not let your bracelets jingle when, lamp in hand, you lead him in.
 
不要让你的手镯作响,当你提着灯,带他进来的时候。
 
Have no word with him if you are shy.
 
不必同他说话,如果你害羞。
 
Have you not finished your work yet, bride? Listen, the guest has come.
 
你的工作还没有做完么,新娘?听,客人来了。
 
Have you not lit the lamp in the cowshed?
 
你还没有把牛栅里的灯点起来么?
 
Have you not got ready the offering basket for the evening service?
 
你还没有把晚祷的供筐准备好么?
 
Have you not put the red lucky mark at the parting of your hair, and done your toilet for the night?
 
你还没有在发缝中涂上鲜红的吉祥点,你还没有理过晚妆么?
 
O bride, do you hear, the guest has come?
 
呵,新娘,你没有听见,客人来了么?
 
Let your work be!
 
放下你的工作吧!

11
 
Come as you are; do not loiter over your toilet.
 
你就这样地来吧;不要在梳妆上挨延了。
 
If your braided hair has loosened, if the parting of your hair be not straight, if the ribbons of your bodice be not fastened

, do not mind.
 
即使你的辫发松散,即使你的发缝没有分直,即使你衷衣的丝带没有系好,都不要管它。
 
Come as you are; do not loiter over your toilet.
 
你就这样地来吧;不要在梳妆上挨延了。
 
Come, with quick steps over the grass.
 
来吧,用快步踏过草坪。
 
If the raddle come from your feet because of the dew, if the rings of bells upon your feet slacken, if pearls drop out of

your chain, do not mind.
 
即使露水沾掉了你脚上的红粉,即使你踝上的铃串褪松,即使你链上的珠儿脱落,都不要管它。
 
Come with quick steps over the grass.
 
来吧,用快步踏过草坪。
 
Do you see the clouds wrapping the sky?
 
你没看见云雾遮住天空么?
 
Flocks of cranes fly up from the further river-bank and fitful guests of wind rush over the heath.
 
鹤群从远远的河岸飞起,狂风吹过常青的灌木。
 
The anxious cattle run to their stalls in the village.
 
惊牛奔向村里的栅棚。
 
Do you see the clouds wrapping the sky?
 
你没看见云雾遮住天空么?
 
In vain you light your toilet lamp——it flickers and goes out in the wind.
 
你徒然点上晚妆的灯火——它颤摇着在风中熄灭了。
 
Who can know that your eyelids have not been touched with lampblack? For your eyes are darker than rain-clouds.
 
谁能看出你眼睫上没有涂上乌烟?因为你的眼睛比雨云还黑。
 
In vain you light your toilet lamp——it goes out.
 
你徒然点上晚妆的灯火——它熄灭了。
 
Come as you are; do not loiter over your toilet.
 
你就这样地来吧,不要在梳妆上挨延了。
 
If the wreath is not woven, who cares; if the wrist-chain has not been linked, let it be.
 
即使花环没有穿好,谁管它呢;即使手镯没有扣上,让它去吧。
 
The sky is overcast with clouds——it is late.
 
天空被阴云塞满了——时间已晚。
 
Come as you are; do not loiter over your toilet.
 
你就这样地来吧;不要在梳妆上挨延了。
 
12
 
If you would be busy and fill your pitcher, come, O come to my lake.
 
若是你要忙着把水瓶灌满,来吧,到我的湖上来吧。
 
The water will cling round your feet and babble its secret.
 
湖水将回绕在你的脚边,潺潺地说出它的秘密。
 
The shadow of the coming rain is on the sands, and the clouds hang low upon the blue lines of the trees like the heavy hair

above your eyebrows.
 
沙滩上有了欲来的雨云的阴影,云雾低垂在丛树的绿线上,像你眉上的浓发。
 
I know well the rhythm of your steps, they are beating in my heart.
 
我深深地熟悉你脚步的韵律,它在我心中敲击。
 
Come, O come to my lake, if you must fill your pitcher.
 
来吧,到我的湖上来吧,如果你必须把水瓶灌满。
 
If you would be idle and sit listless and let your pitcher float on the water, come, O come to my lake.
 
如果你想懒散闲坐,让你的水瓶飘浮在水面,来吧,到我的湖上来吧。
 
The grassy slope is green, and the wild flowers beyond number.
 
草坡碧绿,野花多得数不清。
 
Your thoughts will stray out of your dark eyes like birds from their nests.
 
你的思想将从你乌黑的眼眸中飞出,像鸟儿飞出窝巢。
 
Your veil will drop to your feet.
 
你的披纱将褪落到脚上。
 
Come, O come to my lake if you must sit idle.
 
来吧,如果你要闲坐,到我的湖上来吧。
 
If you would leave off your play and dive in the water, come, O come to my lake.
 
如果你想撇下嬉游跳进水里,来吧,到我的湖上来吧。
 
Let your blue mantle lie on the shore; the blue water will cover you and hide you.
 
把你的蔚蓝的丝布留在岸上;蔚蓝的水将没过你,盖住你。
 
The waves will stand a-tiptoe to kiss your neck and whisper in your ears.
 
水波将蹑足来吻你的颈项,在你耳边低语。
 
Come, O come to my lake, if you would dive in the water.
 
来吧,如果你想跳进水里,到我的湖上来吧。
 
If you must be mad and leap to your death, come, O come to my lake.
 
如果你想发狂而投入死亡,来吧,到我的湖上来吧。
 
It is cool and fathomlessly deep.
 
它是清凉的,深到无底。
 
It is dark like a sleep that is dreamless.
 
它沉黑得像无梦的睡眠。
 
There in its depths nights and days are one, and songs are silence.
 
在它的深处黑夜就是白天,歌曲就是静默。
 
Come, O come to my lake, if you would plunge to your death.
 
来吧,如果你想投入死亡,到我的湖上来吧。
 
13
 
I asked nothing, only stood at the edge of the wood behind the tree.
 
我一无所求,只站在林边树后。
 
Languor was still upon the eyes of the dawn, and the dew in the air.
 
倦意还逗留在黎明的眼上,露润在空气里。
 
The lazy smell of the damp grass hung in the thin mist above the earth.
 
湿草的懒味悬垂在地面的薄雾中。
 
Under the banyan tree you were milking the cow with your hands, tender and fresh as butter.
 
在榕树下你用乳油般柔嫩的手挤着牛奶。
 
And I was standing still.
 
我沉静地站立着。
 
I did not say a word. It was the bird that sang unseen from the thicket.
 
我没有说出一个字。那是藏起的鸟儿在密叶中歌唱。
 
The mango tree was shedding its flowers upon the village road, and the bees came humming one by one.
 
芒果树在树径上撒着繁花,蜜蜂一只一只地嗡嗡飞来。
 
On the side of the pond the gate of Shiva’s temple was open and the worshipper had begun his chants.
 
池塘边湿婆天的庙门开了,朝拜者开始诵经。
 
With the vessel on your lap you were milking the cow.
 
你把罐儿放在膝上挤着牛奶。
 
I stood with my empty can.
 
我提着空桶站立着。
 
I did not come near you.
 
我没有走近你。
 
The sky woke with the sound of the gong at the temple.
 
天空和庙里的锣声一同醒起。
 
The dust was raised in the road from the hoofs of the driven cattle.
 
街尘在驱走的牛蹄下飞扬。
 
With the gurgling pitchers at their hips, women came from the river.
 
把汩汩发响的水瓶搂在腰上,女人们从河边走来。
 
Your bracelets were jingling, and foam brimming over the jar.
 
你的钏镯丁当,乳沫溢出罐沿。
 
The morning wore on and I did not come near you.
 
晨光渐逝而我没有步近你。
 
14
 
I was walking by the road, I do not know why, when the noonday was past and bamboo branches rustled in the wind.
 
我在路边行走,也不知道为什么,时已过午,竹枝在风中簌簌作响。
 
The prone shadows with their outstretched arms clung to the feet of the hurrying light.
 
横斜的影子伸臂拖住流光的双足。
 
The koels were weary of their songs.
 
布谷鸟都唱倦了。
 
I was walking by the road, I do not know why.
 
我在路边行走,也不知道为什么。
 
The hut by the side of the water is shaded by an overhanging tree.
 
低垂的树荫盖住水边的茅屋。
 
Some one was busy with her work, and her bangles made music in the corner.
 
有人正忙着工作,她的钏镯在一角放出音乐。
 
I stood before this hut, I know not why.
 
我在茅屋前面站着,我不知道为什么。
 
The narrow winding road crosses many a mustard field, and many a mango forest.
 
曲径穿过一片芥菜田地和几层芒果树林。
 
It passes by the temple of the village and the market at the river landing place.
 
它经过村庙和渡头的市集。
 
I stopped by this but, I do not know why.
 
我在这茅屋面前停住了,我不知道为什么。
 
Years age it was a day of breezy March when the murmur if the spring was languorous, and mango blossoms were dropping on the

dust.
 
好几年前,三月风吹的一天,春天倦慵地低语,芒果花落在地上。
 
The rippling water leapt and licked the brass vessel that stood on the landing step.
 
浪花跳起掠过立在渡头阶沿上的铜瓶。
 
I think of that day of breezy March, I do not know why.
 
我想着三月风吹的这一天,我不知道为什么。
 
Shadows are deepening and cattle returning to their folds.
 
阴影更深,牛群归栏。
 
The light is grey upon the lonely meadows, and the village are waiting for the ferry at the bank.
 
冷落的牧场上日色苍白,村人在河边待渡。
 
I slowly return upon my steps, I do not know why.
 
我缓步回去,我不知道为什么。
 
15
 
I run as a musk-deer runs in the shadow of the forest mad with his own perfume.
 
我像麝鹿一样在林荫中奔走,为着自己的香气而发狂。
 
The night is the night of mid-May, the breeze is the breeze of the south.
 
夜晚是五月正中的夜晚,清风是南国的清风。
 
I lose my way and I wander, I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek.
 
我迷了路,我游荡着,我寻求那得不到的东西,我得到我所没有寻求的东西。
 
From my heart comes out and dances the image of my own desire.
 
我自己的愿望的形象从我心中走出,跳起舞来。
 
The gleaming vision flits on.
 
这闪光的形象飞掠过去。
 
I try to clasp it firmly, it eludes me and leads me astray.
 
我想把它紧紧捉住,它躲开了又引着我飞走下去。
 
I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek.
 
我寻求那得不到的东西,我得到我所没有寻求的东西。
 
16
 
Hands cling to hands and eyes linger on eyes; thus begins the record of our hearts.
 
手握着手,眼恋着眼;这样开始了我们的心的纪录。
 
It is the moonlit night of March; the sweet smell of henna is in the air; my flute lies on the earth neglected and your

garland of flowers is unfinished.
 
这是三月的月明之夜;空气里有凤仙花的芬芳;我的横笛抛在地上,你的花串也没有编成。
 
This love between you and me is simple as a song.
 
你我之间的爱像歌曲一样地单纯。
 
Your veil of the saffron colour makes my eyes drunk.
 
你橙黄色的面纱使我眼睛陶醉。
 
The jasmine wreath that you wove me thrills to my heart like praise.
 
你给我编的茉莉花环使我心震颤,像是受了赞扬。
 
It is a game of giving and withholding, revealing and screening again; some smiles and some little shyness, and some sweet

useless struggles.
 
这是一个又予又留、又隐又现的游戏;有些微笑,有些娇羞,也有些甜柔的无用的抵拦。
 
This love between you and me is simple as a song.
 
你我之间的爱像歌曲一样的单纯。
 
No mystery beyond the present; no striving for the impossible; no shadow behind the charm; no groping in the depth of the

dark.
 
没有现在以外的神秘;不强求那做不到的事情;没有魅惑后面的阴影;没有黑暗深处的探索。
 
This love between you and me is simple as a song.
 
你我之间的爱像歌曲一样的单纯:
 
We do not stray out of all words into the ever silent; we do not raise our hands to the void for things beyond hope.
 
我们没有走出一切语言之外进入永远的沉默;我们没有向空举手寻求希望以外的东西。
 
It is enough what we give and we get.
 
我们付与,我们取得,这就够了。
 
We have not crushed the joy to the utmost to wring from it the wine of pain.
 
我们没有把喜乐压成微尘来榨取痛苦之酒。
 
This love between you and me is simple as a song.
 
你我之间的爱像歌曲一样的单纯。
 
17
 
The yellow birds sings in their tree and makes my heart dance with gladness.
 
黄鸟在自己的树上歌唱,使我的心喜舞。
 
We both live in the same village, and that is our one piece of joy.
 
我们两人住在一个村子里,这是我们的一份快乐。
 
Her pair of pet lambs come to graze in the shade of our garden trees.
 
她心爱的一对小羊,到我园树的荫下吃草。
 
If they stray into my barley field, I take them up in my arms.
 
它们若走进我的麦地,我就把它们抱在臂里。
 
The name of our village is Khanjana, and Anjana they call our river.
 
我们的村子名叫康遮那,人们管我们的小河叫安遮那。
 
My name is known to all the village, and her name is Ranjana.
 
我的名字村人都知道,她的名字是软遮那。
 
Only one field lies between us.
 
我们中间只隔着一块田地。
 
Bees that have hived in our grove go to seek honey in theirs.
 
在我们树里做窝的蜜蜂,飞到他们林中去采蜜。
 
Flowers launched from their landing-stairs come floating by the stream where we bathe.
 
从他们渡头街上流来的落花,飘到我们洗澡的池塘里。
 
Baskets of dried kusm flowers come from their fields to our market.
 
一筐一筐的红花干从他们地里送到我们的市集上。
 
The name of our village is Khanjana, and Anjana they call our river.
 
我们村子名叫康遮那,人们管我们的小河叫安遮那。
 
My name is known to all the village, and her name is Ranjana.
 
我的名字村人都知道,她的名字是软遮那。
 
The lane that winds to their house is fragrant in the spring with mango flowers.
 
到她家去的那条曲巷,春天充满了芒果的花香。
 
When their linseed is ripe for harvest the hemp is in bloom in our field.
 
他们亚麻子收成的时候,我们地里的苎麻正在开放。
 
The stars that smile on their cottage send us the same twinkling look.
 
在他们房上微笑的星辰,送给我们以同样的闪亮。
 
The rain that floods their tank makes glad our kadam forest.
 
在他们水槽里满溢的雨水,也使我们的迦昙树林喜乐。
 
The name of our village is Khanjana, and Anjana they call our river.
 
我们村子名叫康遮那,人们管我们的小河叫安遮那。
 
My name is known to all the village, and her name is Ranjana.
 
我的名字村人都知道,她的名字是软遮那。
 
18
 
When the two sisters go to fetch water, they come to this spot and they smile.
 
当这两个姊妹出去打水的时候,她们来到这地点,她们微笑了。
 
They must be aware of somebody who stands behind the trees whenever they go to fetch water.
 
她们一定觉察到,每次她们出来打水的时候,那个站在树后的人儿。
 
The sisters whisper to each other when they pass this spot.
 
姊妹俩相互耳语,当她们走过这地点的时候。
 
They must have guessed the secret of that somebody who stands behind the trees whenever they go to fetch water.
 
她们一定猜到了,每逢她们出来打水的时候,那个人站在树后的秘密。
 
Their pitchers lurch suddenly, and water spills when they reach this spot.
 
她们的水瓶忽然倾倒,水倒出来了,当她们走到这地点的时候。
 
They must have found that somebody’s heart is beating who stands behind the trees whenever they go to fetch water.
 
她们一定发觉,每逢她们出来打水的时候,那个站在树后的人的心正在跳着。
 
The two sisters glance at each other when they come to this spot, and they smile.
 
姊妹俩相互瞥了一眼又微笑了,当她们来到这地点的时候。
 
There is a laughter in their swiftstepping feet, which make confusion in somebody’s mind who stands behind the trees whenever

they go to fetch water.
 
她们飞快的脚步里带着笑声,使这个每逢她们出来打水的时候站在树后的人儿心魂撩乱了。
 
19
 
You walked by the riverside path with the full pitcher upon your hip.
 
你腰间搂着灌满的水瓶,在河边路上行走。
 
Why did you swiftly turn your face and peep at me through your fluttering veil?
 
你为什么急遽地回头,从飘扬的面纱里偷偷地看我?
 
That gleaming look from the dark came upon me like a breeze that sends a shiver through the sipping water and sweeps away to

the shadowy shore.
 
这个从黑暗中向我送来的闪视,像凉风在粼粼的微波上掠过,一阵震颤直到阴荫的岸边。
 
It came to me like a bird of the evening that hurriedly flies across the lampless room from the one open window to the other,

and disappears in the night.
 
它向我飞来,像夜中的小鸟急遽地穿过无灯的屋子的两边洞开的窗户,又在黑夜中消失了。
 
You are hidden like a star behind the hills, and I am a passer-by upon the road.
 
你像一颗隐在山后的星星,我是路上的行人。
 
But why did you stop for a moment and glance at my face through your veil while you walked by the riverside path with the full

pitcher upon your hip?
 
但是你为什么站了一会,从面纱中瞥视我的脸,当你腰间搂着灌满的水瓶在河边路上行走的时候?
 
20
 
Day after day he comes and goes away.
 
他天天来了又走了。
 
Go, and give him a flower from my hair, my friend.
 
去吧,把我头上的花朵送去给他吧,我的朋友。
 
If he asks who was it that sent it, I entreat you do not tell him my name——for he only comes and goes away.
 
假如他问赠花的人是谁,我请你不要把我的名字告诉他——因为他来了又要走的。
 
He sits on the dust under the tree.
 
他坐在树下的地上。
 
Spread there a seat with flowers and leaves, my friend.
 
用繁花密叶给他敷设一个座位吧,我的朋友。
 
His eyes are sad, and they bring sadness to my heart.
 
他的眼神是忧郁的,它把忧郁带到我的心中。
 
He does not speak what he has in mind; he only comes and goes away.
 
他没有说出他的心事;他只是来了又走了。
 
21
 
Why did he choose to come to my door, the wandering youth, when the day dawned?
 
他为什么特地来到我的门前,这年轻的游子,当天色黎明的时候?
 
As I come in and out I pass by him every time, and my eyes are caught by his face.
 
每次我进出经过他的身旁,我的眼睛总被他的面庞所吸引。
 
I know not if I should speak to him or keep silent. Why did he choose to come to my door.
 
我不知道我是应该同他说话还是保持沉默。他为什么特地到我门前来呢?
 
The cloudy nights in July are dark; the sky is soft blue in the autumn; the spring days are restless with the south wind.
 
七月的阴夜是黑沉的;秋日的天空是浅蓝的,南风把春天吹得骀荡不宁。
 
He weaves his songs with fresh tunes every time.
 
他每次用新调编着新歌。
 
I turn from my work and my eyes fill with the mist. Why did he choose to come my door?
 
我放下活计眼里充满雾水。他为什么特地到我门前来呢?
 
22
 
When she passed by me with quick steps, the end of her skirt touched me.
 
当她用急步走过我的身旁,她的裙缘触到了我。
 
From the unknown island of a heart came a sudden warm breath of spring.
 
从一颗心的无名小岛上忽然吹来了一阵春天的温馨。
 
A flutter of a flitting touch brushed me and vanished in a moment, like a torn flower petal blown in the breeze.
 
一霎飞触的撩乱扫拂过我,立刻又消失了,像扯落了的花瓣在和风中飘扬。
 
It fell upon my heart like a sigh of her body and whisper of her heart.
 
它落在我的心上,像她的身躯的叹息和她心灵的低语。
 
23
 
Why do you sit there and jingle your bracelets in mere idle sport?
 
你为什么悠闲地坐在那里,把镯子玩得丁当作响呢?
 
Fill your pitcher. It is time for you to come home.
 
把你的水瓶灌满了吧。是你应当回家的时候了。
 
Why do you stir the water with your hands and fitfully glance at the road for some one in mere idle sport?
 
你为什么悠闲地拨弄着水玩。偷偷地瞥视路上的行人呢?
 
Fill your pitcher and come home.
 
灌满你的水瓶回家去吧。
 
The morning hours pass by——the dark water flows on.
 
早晨的时间过去了——沉黑的水不住地流逝。
 
The waves are laughing and whispering to each other in mere idle sport.
 
波浪相互低语嬉笑闲玩着。
 
The wandering clouds have gathered at the edge of the sky on yonder rise of the land.
 
流荡的云片聚集在远野高地的天边。
 
They linger and look at your face and smile mere idle sport.
 
它们留连着悠闲地看着你的脸微笑着。
 
Fill your pitcher and come home.
 
灌满你的水瓶回家去吧。
 
24
 
Do not keep to yourself the secret of your heart, my friend!
 
不要把你心的秘密藏起,我的朋友!
 
Say it to me, only to me, in secret.
 
对我说吧,秘密地对我一个人说吧。
 
You who smile so gently, softly whisper, my heart will hear it, not my ears.
 
你这个笑得这样温柔、说得这样轻软的人,我的心将听着你的语言,不是我的耳朵。
 
The night is deep, the house is silent, the birds’ nests are shrouded with sleep.
 
夜深沉,庭宁静,鸟巢也被睡眠笼罩着。
 
Speak to me through hesitating tears, through faltering smiles, through sweet shame and pain, the secret of your heart.
 
从踌躇的眼泪里,从沉吟的微笑着,从甜柔的羞怯和痛苦里,把你心的秘密告诉我吧!
 
25
 
“Come to us, youth, tell us truly why there is madness in your eyes?”
 
“到我们这里来吧,青年人,老实告诉我们,为什么你眼里带着疯癫?”
 
“I know not what wine of wild poppy I have drunk, that there is this madness in my eyes.”
 
“我不知道我喝了什么野罂粟花酒,使我的眼带着疯癫。”
 
“Ah, shame!”
 
“呵,多难为情!”
 
“Well, some are wise and some foolish, some are watchful and some careless. There are eyes that smile and eyes that weep——

and madness is in my eyes.”
 
“好吧,有的人聪明有的人愚拙,有的人细心有的人马虎。有的眼睛会笑,有的眼睛会哭——我的眼睛是带着疯癫的。”
 
“Youth, why do you stand so still under the shadow of the tree?”
 
“青年人,你为什么这样凝立在树影下呢?”
 
“My feet are languid with the burden of my heart, and I stand still in the shadow.”
 
“我的脚被我沉重的心压得疲倦了,我就在树影下凝立着。”
 
“Ah, shame!”
 
“呵,多难为情!”
 
“Well, some march on their way and some linger, some are free and some are fettered——and my feet are languid with the

burden of my heart.”
 
“好吧,有人一直行进,有人到外流连,有的人是自由的,有的人是锁住的——我的脚被我沉重的心压得疲倦了。”
 
26
 
“What comes from your willing hands I take. I beg for nothing more.”
 
“从你慷慨的手里所付予的,我都接受。我别无所求。”
 
“Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has.”
 
“是了,是了,我懂得你,谦卑的乞丐,你是乞求一个人的一切所有。”
 
“If there be a stray flower for me I will wear it in my heart.”
 
“若是你给我一朵残花,我也要把它戴在心上。”
 
“But if there be thorns?”
 
“若是那花上有刺呢?”
 
“I will endure them.”
 
“我就忍受着。”
 
“Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has.”
 
“是了,是了,我懂得你,谦卑的乞丐,你是乞求一个人的一切所有。”
 
“If but once you should raise your loving eyes to my face it would make my life sweet beyond death.”
 
“如果你只在我脸上瞥来一次爱怜的眼光,就会使我的生命直到死后还是甜蜜的。”
 
“But if there be only cruel glances?”
 
“假如那只是残酷的眼色呢?”
 
“I will keep them piercing my heart.”
 
“我要让它永远穿刺我的心。”
 
“Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has.”
 
“是了,是了,我懂得你,谦卑的乞丐,你是乞求一个人的一切所有。”
 
27
 
“Trust love even if it brings sorrow. Do not close up your heart.”
 
“即使爱只给你带来了哀愁,也信任它。不要把你的心关起。”
 
“Ah no, my friend, your words are dark, I cannot understand them.”
 
“呵,不,我的朋友,你的话语太隐晦了,我不懂得。”
 
“The heart is only giving away with a tear and a song, my love.”
 
“心是应该和一滴眼泪、一首诗歌一起送给人的,我爱。”
 
“Ah no, my friend, your words are dark, I cannot understand them.”
 
“呵,不,我的朋友,你的话语太隐晦了,我不懂得。”
 
“Pleasure is frail like a dewdrop, while it laughs it dies. But sorrow is strong and abiding. Let sorrowful love wake in your

eyes.”
 
“喜乐像露珠一样地脆弱,它在欢笑中死去。哀愁却是坚强而耐久。让含愁的爱在你眼中醒起吧。”
 
“Ah no, my friend, your words are dark, I cannot understand them.”
 
“呵,不,我的朋友,你的话语太隐晦了,我不懂得。”
 
“The lotus blooms in the sight of the sun, and loses all that it has. It would not remain in bud in the eternal winter mist.”
 
“荷花在日中开放,丢掉了自己的一切所有。在永生的冬雾里,它将不再含苞。”
 
“Ah no, my friend, your words are dark, I cannot understand them.”
 
“呵,不,我的朋友,你的话语太隐晦了,我不懂得。”
 
28
 
Your questioning eyes are sad. They seem to know my meaning as the moon would fathom the sea.
 
你的疑问的眼光是含愁的。它要追探了解我的意思,好像月亮探测大海。
 
I have bared my life before your eyes from end to end, with nothing hidden or held back. That is why you know me not.
 
我已经把我生命的终始,全部暴露在你的眼前,没有任何隐秘和保留。因此你不认识我。
 
If it were only a gem I could break it into a hundred pieces and string them into a chain to put on your neck.
 
假如它是一块宝石,我就能把它碎成千百颗粒,穿成项链挂在你的颈上。
 
If it were only a flower, round and small and sweet, I could pluck it from its stem to set it in your hair.
 
假如它是一朵花,圆圆小小香香的,我就能从枝上采来戴在你的发上。
 
But it is a heart, my beloved. Where are its shores and its bottom?
 
但是它是一颗心,我的爱人。何处是它的边和底?
 
You know not the limits of this kingdom, still you are its queen.
 
你不知道这个王国的边极,但你仍是这王国的女王。
 
If it were only a moment of pleasure it would flower in an easy smile, and you could see it and read it in a moment.
 
假如它是片刻的欢娱,它将在喜笑中开花,你立刻就会看到、懂得了。
 
If it were merely a pain it would melt in limpid tears, reflecting its inmost secret without a word.
 
假如它是一阵痛苦,它将融化成晶莹眼泪,不着一字地反映出它最深的秘密。
 
But it is love, my beloved.
 
但是它是爱,我的爱人。
 
Its pleasure and pain are boundless, and endless its wants and wealth.
 
它的欢乐和痛苦是无边的,它的需求和财富是无尽的。
 
It is as near to you as your life, but you can never wholly know it.
 
它和你亲近得像你的生命一样,但是你永远不能完全了解它。
 
29
 
Speak to me, my love! Tell me in words what you sang.
 
对我说吧,我爱!用言语告诉我你唱的是什么。
 
The night is dark. The stars are lost in clouds. The wind is sighing through the leaves.
 
夜是深黑的,星星消失在云里,风在叶丛中叹息。
 
I will let loose my hair. My blue cloak will cling round me like night. I will clasp your head to my bosom; and there in the

sweet loneliness murmur on your heart. I will shut my eyes and listen. I will not look in your face.
 
我将披散我的头发,我的青蓝的披风将像黑夜一样地紧裹着我。我将把我的头紧抱在胸前:在甜柔的寂寞中在你心头低诉。我将闭目静听。我不

会看望你的脸。
 
When your words are ended, we will sit still and silent. Only the trees will whisper in the dark.
 
等到你的话说完了,我们将沉默凝坐。只有丛树在黑暗中微语。
 
The night will pale. The day will dawn. We shall look at each other’s eyes and go on our different paths.
 
夜将发白。天光将晓。我们将望望彼此的眼睛,然后各走各的路。
 
Speak to me, my love! Tell me in words what you sang.
 
对我说话吧,我爱!用言语告诉我你唱的是什么。
 
30
 
You are the evening cloud floating in the sky of my dreams.
 
你是一朵夜云,在我梦幻中的天空浮泛。
 
I paint you and fashion you ever with my love longings.
 
我永远用爱恋的渴想来描画你。
 
You are my own, my own, Dweller in my endless dreams!
 
你是我一个人的,我一个人的,我无尽的梦幻中的居住者!
 
Your feet are rosy-red with the glow of my heart’s desire, Gleaner of my sunset songs!
 
你的双脚被我心切望的热光染得绯红,我的落日之歌的搜集者!
 
Your lips are bitter-sweet with the taste of my wine of pain.
 
我的痛苦之酒使你的唇儿苦甜。
 
You are my own, my own, Dweller in my lonesome dreams!
 
你是我一个人的,我一个人的,我寂寥的梦幻中的居住者!
 
With the shadow of my passion have I darken your eyes, Haunter of the depth of my gaze!
 
我用热情的浓影染黑了你的眼睛;我的凝视深处的崇魂!
 
I have caught you and wrapt you, my love, in the net of my music.
 
我捉住了你,缠住了你,我爱,在我音乐的罗网里。
 
You are my own, my own, Dweller in my deathless dreams!
 
你是我一个人的,我一个人的,我永生的梦幻中的居住者!
 
31
 
My heart, the bird of the wilderness, has found its sky in your eyes.
 
我的心,这只野鸟,在你的双眼中找到了天空。
 
They are the cradle of the morning, they are the kingdom of the stars.
 
它们是清晓的摇篮,它们是星辰的王国。
 
My songs are lost in their depths.
 
我的诗歌在它们的深处消失。
 
Let me but cleave its clouds and spread wings in its sunshine.
 
只让我冲破它的云层,在它的阳光中展翅吧。
 
32
 
Tell me if this be all true, my lover, tell me if this be true.
 
告诉我,这一切是否都是真的。我的情人,告诉我,这是否真的。
 
When these eyes flash their lightning the dark clouds in your breast make stormy answer.
 
当这一对眼睛闪出电光,你胸中的浓云发出风暴的回答。
 
Is it true that my lips are sweet like the opening bud of the first conscious love?
 
我的唇儿,是真像觉醒的初恋的蓓蕾那样香甜么?
 
Do the memories of vanished months of May linger in my limbs?
 
消失了的五月的回忆仍旧流连在我的肢体上么?
 
Does the earth, like a sharp, shiver into songs with the touch of my feet?
 
那大地,像一张琴,真因着我双足的踏触而颤成诗歌么?
 
Is it then true that the dewdrops fall from the eyes of night when I am seen, and the morning light is glad when it wraps my

body round?
 
那么当我来时,从夜的眼睛里真的落下露珠,晨光也真因为围绕我的身躯而感到喜悦么?
 
Is it true, is it true, that your love travelled alone through ages and worlds in search of me?
 
是真的么,是真的么,你的爱贯穿许多时代、许多世界来寻找我么?
 
That when you found me at last, your age-long desire found utter peace in my gentle speech and my eyes and lips and flowing

hair?
 
当你最后找到了我,你天长地久的渴望,在我的温柔的话里,在我的眼睛嘴唇和飘扬的头发里,找到了完全的宁静么?
 
Is it then true that the mystery of the Infinite is written on this little forehead of mine?
 
那么”无限”的神秘是真的写在我小小的额上么?
 
Tell me, my lover, if all this be true.
 
告诉我,我的情人,这一切是否都是真的。
 
33
 
I love you, beloved. Forgive me my love.
 
我爱你,我的爱人。请饶恕我的爱。
 
Like a bird losing its way I am caught.
 
像一只迷路的鸟,我被捉住了。
 
When my heart was shaken it lost its veil and was naked. Cover it with pity, beloved, and forgive me my love.
 
当我的心抖战的时候,它丢了围纱,变成赤裸。用怜悯遮住它吧。爱人,请饶恕我的爱。
 
If you cannot love me, beloved, forgive me my pain.
 
如果你不能爱我,爱人,请饶恕我的痛苦。
 
Do not look askance at me from afar.
 
不要远远地斜视我。
 
I will steal back to my corner and sit in the dark.
 
我将偷偷地回到我的角落里去,在黑暗中坐地。
 
With both hands I will cover my naked shame.
 
我将用双手掩起我赤裸的羞惭。
 
Turn your face from me, beloved, and forgive me my pain.
 
回过脸去吧,我的爱人,请饶恕我的痛苦。
 
If you love me, loved, forgive me my joy.
 
如果你爱我,爱人,请饶恕我的欢乐。
 
When my heart is borne away by the flood of happiness, do not smile at my perilous abandonment.
 
当我的心被快乐的洪水卷走的时候,不要笑我的汹涌的退却。
 
When I sit on my throne and rule you with my tyranny of love, when like a goddess I grant you my favor, bear with my pride,

beloved, and forgive me my joy.
 
当我坐在宝座上,用我暴虐的爱来统治你的时候,当我像女神一样向你施恩的时候,饶恕我的骄傲吧,爱人,也饶恕我的欢乐。
 
34
 
Do not go, my love, without asking my leave.
 
不要不辞而别,我爱。
 
I have watched all night, and now my eyes are heavy with sleep.
 
我看望了一夜,现在我脸上睡意重重。
 
I fear lest I lose you when I am sleeping.
 
只恐我在睡中把你丢失了。
 
Do not go, my love, without asking my leave.
 
不要不辞而别,我爱。
 
I start up and stretch my hands to touch you. I ask myself, “Is it a dream?”
 
我惊起伸出双手去摸触你,我问自己说:”这是一个梦么?”
 
Could I but entangle your feet with my heart and hold them fast to my breast!
 
但愿我能用我的心系住你的双足,紧抱在胸前!
 
Do not go, my love, without asking my leave.
 
不要不辞而别,我爱。
 
35
 
Lest I should know you too easily, you play with me.
 
只恐我太容易地认得你,你对我耍花招。
 
You blind me with flashes of laughter to hide your tears.
 
你用欢笑的闪光使我目盲来掩盖你的眼泪。
 
I know, I know your art.
 
我知道,我知道你的妙计。
 
You never say the word you would.
 
你从来不说出你所要说的话。
 
Lest I should not prize you, you elude me in a thousand ways.
 
只恐我不珍爱你,你千方百计地闪避我。
 
Lest I should confuse you with the crowd, you stand aside.
 
只恐我把你和大家混在一起,你独自站在一边。
 
I know, I know your art.
 
我知道,我知道你的妙计,
 
You never walk the path you would.
 
你从来不走你所要走的路。
 
Your claim is more than that of others, that is why you are silent.
 
你的要求比别人都多,因此你才静默。
 
With playful carelessness you avoid my gifts.
 
你用嬉笑的无心来回避我的赠与。
 
I know, I know your art.
 
我知道,我知道你的妙计,
 
You never will take what you would.
 
你从来不肯接受你想接受的东西。
 
36
 
He whispered, “My love, raise your eyes.”
 
他低声说:”我爱,抬起眼睛吧。”
 
I sharply chid him, and said “Go!”; but he did not stir.
 
我严厉地责骂他说:”走!”但是他不动。
 
He stood before me and held both my hands. I said, “Leave me!”; but he did not go.
 
他站在我面前拉住我的双手。我说:”躲开我!”但是他没有走。
 
He brought his face near my ear. I glanced at him and said, “What a shame!”; but he did not move.
 
他把脸靠近我的耳边。我瞪他一眼说:”不要脸!”但是他没有动。
 
His lips touched my cheek. I trembled and said, “You dare too much”; but he had no shame.
 
他的嘴唇触到我的腮颊。我震颤了,说:”你太大胆了!”
 
He put a flower in my hair. I said, “It is useless!”; but he stood unmoved.
 
他把一朵花插在我发上。我说:”这也没有用处!”但是他站着不动。
 
He took the garland from my neck and went away. I weep and ask my heart, “Why does he not come?”
 
他取下我颈上的花环就走开了。我哭了,问我的心说:”他为什么不回来呢?”
 
37
 
Would you put your wreath of fresh flowers on my neck, fair one?
 
“你愿意把你的鲜花的花环挂在我的颈上么,佳人?”
 
But you must know that the one wreath that I had woven is for the many, for those who are seen in glimpses, or dwell in lands

unexplored, or live in poets’ songs.
 
“但是你要晓得,我编的那个花环,是为大家的,为那些偶然瞥见的人,住在未开发的大地上的人,住在诗人歌曲里的人。”
 
It is too late to ask my heart in return for yours.
 
现在来请求我的心作为答赠已经太晚了。
 
There was a time when my life was like a bud, all its perfume was stored in its core.
 
曾有一个时候,我的生命像一朵蓓蕾,它所有的芬芳都储藏在花心里。
 
Now it is squandered far and wide.
 
现在它已远远地喷溢四散。
 
Who knows the enchantment that can gather and shut it up again?
 
谁晓得什么魅力,可以把它们收集关闭起来呢?
 
My heart is not mine to give to one only, it is given to the many.
 
我的心不容我只给一个人,它是要给与许多人的。
 
38
 
My love, once upon a time your poet launched a great epic in his mind.
 
我爱,从前有一天,你的诗人把一首伟大史诗投进他心里。
 
Alas, I was not careful, and it struck your ringing anklets and came to grief.
 
呵,我不小心,它打到你的丁当的脚镯上而引起悲愁。
 
It broke up into scraps of songs and lay scattered at your feet.
 
它裂成诗歌的碎片散洒在你的脚边。
 
All my cargo of the stories of old wars was tossed by the laughing waves and soaked in tears and sank.
 
我满载的一切古代战争的货物,都被笑浪所颠簸,被眼泪浸透而下沉。
 
You must make this loss good to me, my love.
 
你必须使这损失成为我的收获,我爱。
 
If my claims to immortal fame after death are shattered, make me immortal while I live.
 
如果我的死后不朽的荣名的希望都破灭了,那就在生前使我不朽吧。
 
And I will not mourn for my loss nor blame you.
 
我将不为这损失伤心,也不责怪你。
 
39
 
I try to weave a wreath all the morning, but the flowers slip and they drop out.
 
整个早晨我想编一个花环,但是花儿滑掉了。
 
You sit there watching me in secret through the corner of your prying eyes.
 
你坐在一旁偷偷地从侦伺的眼角看着我。
 
Ask those eyes, darkly planning mischief, whose fault it was.
 
问这一对沉黑的恶作剧的眼睛,这是谁的错。
 
I try to sing a song, but in vain.
 
我想唱一支歌,但是唱不出来。
 
A hidden smile trembles on your lips, ask of it the reason of my failure.
 
一个暗笑在你唇上颤动;你问它我失败的缘由。
 
Let your smiling lips say on oath how my voice lost itself in silence like a drunken bee in the lotus.
 
让你微笑的唇儿发一个誓,说我的歌声怎样地消失在沉默里,像一只在荷花里沉醉的蜜蜂。
 
It is evening, and the time for the flowers to chose their petals.
 
夜晚了,是花瓣合起的时候了。
 
Give me how to sit by your side, and bid my lips to do the work that can be done in silence and in dim light of stars.
 
容许我坐在你的旁边,容许我的唇儿做那在沉默中、在星辰的微光中能做的工作吧。
 
40
 
An unbelieving smile flits on your eyes when I come to you to take my leave.
 
一个怀疑的微笑在你眼中闪烁,当我来向你告别的时候。
 
I have done it so often that you think I will soon return.
 
我这样做的次数太多了,你想我很快又会回来。
 
To tell you the truth I have the same doubt in my mind.
 
告诉你实话,我自己心里也有同样的怀疑。
 
For the spring days come again time after time; the full moon takes leave and comes on another visit, the flower come again

and blush upon their branches year after year, and it is likely that I take my leave only to come to you again.
 
因为春天年年回来;满月道过别又来访问,花儿每年回来在枝上红晕着脸,很可能我向你告别只为的要再回到你的身边。
 
But keep the illusion awhile; do not send it away with ungentle haste.
 
但是把这幻象保留一会吧,不要冷酷粗率地把它赶走。
 
When I say I leave you for all time, accept it as true, and let a mist of tears for one moment deepen the dark rim of your

eyes.
 
当我说我要永远离开你的时候,就当作真话来接受它,让泪雾暂时加深你眼边的黑影。
 
Then smile as archly as you like when I come again.
 
当我再来的时候,随便你怎样地狡笑吧。
 
41
 
I long to speak the deepest words I have to say to you; but I dare not, for fear you should laugh.
 
我想对你说出我要说的最深的话语,我不敢,我怕你哂笑。
 
That is why I laugh at myself and shatter my secret in jest.
 
因此我嘲笑自己,把我的秘密在玩笑中打碎。
 
I make light of my pain, afraid you should do so.
 
我把我的痛苦说得轻松,因为怕你会这样做。
 
I long to tell you the truest words I have to say you; but I dare not, being afraid that you would not believe them.
 
我想对你说出我要说的最真的话语,我不敢,我怕你不信。
 
That is why I disguise them in untruth, saying the contrary of what I mean.
 
因此我弄真成假,说出和我的真心相反的话。
 
I make my pain appear absurd, afraid that you should do so.
 
我把我的痛苦说得可笑,因为我怕你会这样做。
 
I long to use the most precious words I have for you; but I dare not, fearing I should not be paid with like value.
 
我想用最宝贵的名词来形容你,我不敢,我怕得不到相当的酬报。
 
That is why I give you hard names and boast of my callous strength.
 
因此我给你安上苛刻的名字,而夸示我的硬骨。
 
I hurt you, for fear you would never know any pain.
 
我伤害你,因为怕你永远不知道我的痛苦。
 
I long to sit silent by you; but I dare not lest my heart come out at my lips.
 
我渴望静默地坐在你的身旁,我不敢,怕我的心会跳到我的唇上。
 
That is why I prattle and chatter lightly and hide my heart behind words.
 
因此我轻松地说东道西,把我的心藏在语言的后面。
 
I rudely handle my pain, for fear you should do so.
 
我粗暴地对待我的痛苦,因为我怕你会这样做。
 
I long to go away from your side; but I dare not, for fear my cowardice should become known to you.
 
我渴望从你身边走开,我不敢,怕你看出我的懦怯。
 
That is why I hold my head high and carelessly come into your presence.
 
因此我随随便便地昂着走到你的面前。
 
Constant thrusts from your eyes keep my pain fresh for ever.
 
从你眼里频频掷来的刺激,使我的痛苦永远新鲜。
 
42
 
O mad, superbly drunk;
 
呵,疯狂的、头号的醉汉;
 
If you kick open your doors and play the fool in public;
 
如果你踢开门户在大众面前装疯;
 
If you empty your bag in a night, and snap your fingers at prudence;
 
如果你在一夜倒空囊橐,对慎重轻蔑地弹着指头;
 
If you walk in curious paths and play with useless things;
 
如果你走着奇怪的道路,和无益的东西游戏;
 
Reck not rhyme or reason;
 
不理会韵律和理性;
 
If unfurling your sails before the storm you snap the rudder in two,
 
如果你在风暴前扯起船帆,你把船舵折成两半,
 
Then I will follow you, comrade, and be drunken and go to the dogs.
 
那么我就要跟随你,伙伴,喝得烂醉走向堕落灭亡。
 
I have wasted my days and nights in the company of steady wise neighbors.
 
我在稳重聪明的街坊中间虚度了日日夜夜。
 
Much knowing has turned my hair grey, and much watching has made my sight dim.
 
过多的知识使我白了头发,过多的观察使我眼力模糊。
 
For years I have gathered and heaped up scraps and fragments of them:
 
多年来我积攒了许多零碎的东西;
 
Crush them and dance upon them, and scatter them all to the winds.
 
把这些东西摔碎,在上面跳舞,把它们散掷到风中去吧。
 
For I know ’tis the height of wisdom to be drunken and go to the dogs.
 
因为我知道喝得烂醉而堕落灭亡,是最高的智慧。
 
Let all crooked scruples vanish, let me hopelessly lose my way.
 
让一切歪曲的顾虑消亡吧,让我无望地迷失了路途。
 
Let a gust of wild giddiness come and sweep me away from my anchors.
 
让一阵旋风吹来,把我连船锚一齐卷走。
 
The world is peopled with worthies, and workers, useful and clever.
 
世界上住着高尚的人,劳动的人,有用又聪明。
 
There are men who are easily first, and men who come decently after.
 
有的人很从容地走在前头,有的人庄重地走在后面。
 
Let them be happy and prosper, and let me be foolishly futile.
 
让他们快乐繁荣吧,让我傻呆地无用吧。
 
For I know ’tis the end of all works to be drunken and go to the dogs.
 
因为我知道喝得烂醉而堕落灭亡,是一切工作的结局。
 
I swear to surrender this moment all claims to the ranks of the decent.
 
我此刻誓将一切的要求,让给正人君人。
 
I let go my pride of learning and judgment of right and of wrong.
 
我抛弃我学识的自豪和是非的判断。
 
I’ll shatter memory’s vessel, scattering the last the drop of tears.
 
我打碎记忆的瓶壶,挥洒最后的眼泪。
 
With the foam of the berry-red wine I will bathe and brighten my laughter.
 
以红果酒的泡沫来洗澡,使我欢笑发出光辉。
 
The badge of the civil and staid I’ll tear into shreds for the nonce.
 
我暂且撕裂温恭和认真的标志。
 
I’ll take the holy vow to be worthless, to be drunken and go to the dogs.
 
我将发誓作一个无用的人,喝得烂醉而堕落灭亡下去。
 
43
 
No, my friends, I shall never be an ascetic, whatever you may say.
 
不,我的朋友,我永不会做一个苦行者,随便你怎么说。
 
I shall never be an ascetic if she does not take the vow with me.
 
我将永不做一个苦行者,假如她不和我一同受戒。
 
It is my firm resolve that if I cannot find a shady shelter and a companion for my penance, I shall never turn ascetic.
 
这是我坚定的决心,如果我找不到一个荫凉的住处和一个忏悔的伴侣,我将永远不会变成一个苦行者。
 
No, my friends, I shall never leave my hearth and home, and retire into the forest solitude, if rings no merry laughter in

its echoing shade and if the end of no saffron mantle flutters in the wind; if its silence is not deepened by soft whispers.
 
不,我的朋友,我将永不离开我的炉火与家庭,去退隐到深林里面;如果在林荫中没有欢笑的回响;如果没有郁金色的衣裙在风中飘扬;如果它

的幽静不因有轻柔的微语而加深。
 
I shall never be an ascetic.
 
我将永不会做一个苦行者。

44
 
Reverend sir, forgive this pair of sinners.
 
尊敬的长者,饶恕这一对罪人吧。
 
Spring winds to-day are blowing in wild eddies, driving dust and dead leaves away, and with them your lessons are all lost.
 
今天春风猖狂地吹起旋舞,把尘土和枯叶都扫走了,你的功课也随着一起丢掉了。
 
Do not say, father, that life is a vanity.
 
师父,不要说生命是虚空的。
 
For me have made truce with death for once, and only for a few fragrant hours we two have been made immortal.
 
因为我们和死亡订下一次和约,在一段温馨的时间中,我俩变成不朽。
 
Even if the king’s army came and fiercely fell upon us we should sadly shake our heads and say, Brothers, you are disturbing

us. If you must have this noisy game, go and clatter your arms elsewhere.
 
即使是国王的军队凶猛地前来追捕,我们将忧愁地摇头说,弟兄们,你们扰乱了我们了。如果你们必须做这个吵闹的游戏,到别处去敲击你们的

武器吧。
 
Since only for a few fleeting moments we have been made immortal.
 
因为我们刚在这片刻飞逝的时光中变成不朽。
 
If friendly people came and flocked around us, we should humbly bow to them and say, This extravagant good fortune is an

embarrassment to us. Room is scare in the infinite sky where we dwell. For in the springtime flowers come in crowds, and the

busy wings of bees jostle each other. Our little heaven, where dwell only we two immortals, is too absurdly narrow.
 
如果亲切的人们来把我们围起,我们将恭敬地向他们鞠躬说,这个荣幸使我们惭愧。在我们居住的无限天空之中,没有多少隙地。因为在春天繁

花盛开,蜜蜂的忙碌的翅翼也彼此摩挤。只住着我们两个仙人的小天堂,是狭小得太可笑了。
 
45
 
To the guests that must go bid God’s speed and brush away all traces of their steps.
 
对那些定要离开的客人们,求神帮他们快走,并且扫掉他们所有的足迹。
 
Take to your bosom with a smile what is easy and simple and near.
 
把舒服的、单纯的、亲近的微笑着一起抱在你的怀里。
 
To-day is the festival of phantoms that know not when they die.
 
今天是幻影的节日,他们不知道自己的死期。
 
Let your laughter be but a meaningless mirth like twinkles of light on the ripples.
 
让你的笑声只作为无意义的欢乐,像浪花上的闪光。
 
Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf.
 
让你的生命像露珠在叶尖一样,在时间的边缘上轻轻跳舞。
 
Strike in chords from your harp fitful momentary rhythms.
 
在你的琴弦上弹出无定的暂时的音调吧。
 
46
 
You left me and went on your way.
 
你离开我自己走了。
 
I thought I should mourn for you and set your solitary image in my heart wrought in a golden song.
 
我想我将为你忧伤,还将用金色的诗歌铸成你孤寂的形象,供养在我的心里。
 
But ah, my evil fortune, time is short.
 
但是,我的运气多坏,时间是短促的。
 
Youth wanes year after year; the spring days are fugitive; the frail flowers die for nothing, and the wise man warns me that

life is but a dewdrop on the lotus leaf.
 
青春一年一年地消逝;春日是暂时的;柔弱的花朵无意义地调谢,聪明人警告我说,生命只是一颗荷叶上的露珠。
 
Should I neglect all this to gaze after one who has turned her back on me?
 
我可以不管这些,只凝望着背弃我的那个人么?
 
That should be rude and foolish, for time is short.
 
这会是无益的,愚蠢的,因为时间是太短暂了。
 
Then, come, my rainy nights with pattering feet; smile, my golden autumn; come, careless April, scattering your kisses

abroad.
 
那么,来吧,我的雨夜的脚步声;微笑吧,我的金色的秋天;来吧,无虑无忧的四月,散掷着你的亲吻。
 
You come, and you, and you also!
 
你来吧,还有你,也有你!
 
My loves, you know we are mortals. Is it wise to break one’s heart for the one who takes her heart away? For time is short.
 
我的情人们,你知道我们都是凡人。为一个取回她的心的人而心碎,是件聪明的事情么?因为时间是短暂的。
 
It is sweet to sit in a corner to muse and write in rhymes that you are all my world.
 
坐在屋角凝思,把我的世界中的你们都写在韵律里,是甜柔的。
 
It is heroic to hug one’s sorrow and determine not to be consoled.
 
把自己的忧伤抱紧,决不受人安慰,是英勇的。
 
But a fresh face peeps across my door and raises its eyes to my eyes.
 
但是一个新的面庞,在我门外偷窥,抬起眼来看我的眼睛。
 
I cannot but wipe away my tears and change the tune of my song.
 
我只能试去眼泪,更改我歌曲的腔调。
 
For time is short.
 
因为时间是短暂的。
 
47
 
If you would have it so, I will end my singing.
 
如果你要这样,我就停了歌唱。
 
If it sets your heart aflutter, I will take away my eyes from your face.
 
如果它使你心震颤,我就把眼光从你脸上挪开。
 
If it suddenly startles you in your walk, I will step aside and take another path.
 
如果使你在行走时忽然惊跃,我就躲开另走别路。
 
If it confuses you in your flower-weaving, I will shun your lonely garden.
 
如果在你编串花环时,使你烦乱,我就避开你寂寞的花园。
 
If it makes the water wanton and wild, I will not row my boat by your bank.
 
如果我使水花飞溅,我就不在你的河边划船。
 
48
 
Free me from the bonds of your sweetness, my love! No more of this wine of kisses.
 
把我从你甜柔的枷束中放出来吧,我爱,不要再斟上亲吻的酒。
 
This mist of heavy incense stifles my heart.
 
香烟的浓雾窒塞了我的心。
 
Open the doors, make room for the morning light.
 
开起门来,让晨光进入吧!
 
I am lost in you, wrapped in the folds of your caresses
 
我消失在你里面,包缠在你爱抚的折痕之中。
 
Free me from your spells, and give me back the manhood to offer you my freed heart.
 
把我从你的诱惑中放出来吧,把男子气概交还我,好让我把得到自由的心贡献给你。
 
49
 
I hold her hands and press her to my breast.
 
我握住她的手把她抱紧在胸前。
 
I try to fill my arms with her loveliness, to plunder her sweet smile with kisses, to drink her dark glances with my eyes.
 
我想以她的爱娇来填满我的怀抱,用亲吻来偷劫她的甜笑,用我的眼睛来吸饮她的深黑的一瞥。
 
Ah, but, where is it? Who can strain the blue from the sky?
 
呵,但是,它在哪里呢?谁能从天空滤出蔚蓝呢?
 
I try to grasp the beauty, it eludes me, leaving only the body in my hands.
 
我想去把握美;它躲开我,只有躯体留在我的手里。
 
Baffled and weary I come back.
 
失望而困乏地,我回来了。
 
How can the body touch the flower which only the spirit may touch?
 
躯体哪能触到那只有精神才能触到的花朵呢?
 
50
 
Love, my heart longs day and night for the meeting with you——for the meeting that is like all-devouring death.
 
爱,我的心日夜想望和你相见——那像吞灭一切的死亡一样的会见。
 
Sweep me away like a storm; take everything I have; break open my sleep and plunder my dreams. Rob me of my world.
 
像一阵风暴把我卷走;把我的一切都拿去;劈开我的睡眠抢走我的梦。剥夺了我的世界。
 
In that devastation, in the utter nakedness of spirit, let us become one in beauty.
 
在这毁灭里,在精神的全部赤露里,让我们在美中合一吧。
 
Alas for my vain desire! Where is this hope for union except in thee, my God?
 
我的空想是可怜的!除了在你里面,哪有这合一的希望呢,我的神?
 
51
 
Then finish the last song and let us leave.
 
那么唱完最后一支歌就让我们走吧。
 
Forget this night when the night is no more.
 
当这夜过完就把这夜完掉。
 
Whom do I try to clasp in my arms? Dreams can never be made captive.
 
我想把谁紧抱在臂里呢?梦是永不会被捉住的。
 
My eager hands press emptiness to my heart and it bruises my breast.
 
我渴望的双手把”空虚”紧压在我心上,压碎了我的胸膛。
 
52
 
Why did the lamp go out?
 
灯为什么熄了呢?
 
I shaded it with my cloak to save it from the wind, that is why the lamp went out.
 
我用斗篷遮住它怕它被风吹灭,因此灯熄了。
 
Why did the flower fade?
 
花为什么谢了呢?
 
I pressed it to my heart with anxious love, that is why the flower faded.
 
我的热恋的爱把它紧压在我的心上,因此花谢了。
 
Why did the stream dry up?
 
泉为什么干了呢?
 
I put a dam across it to have it for my use, that is why the stream dried up.
 
我盖起一道堤把它拦起给我使用,因此泉干了。
 
Why did the harp-string break?
 
琴弦为什么断了呢?
 
I tried to force a note that was beyond its power, that is why the harp-string is broken.
 
我强弹一个它力不能胜的音节,因此琴弦断了。
 
53
 
Why do you put me to shame with a look?
 
为什么盯着我使我羞愧呢?
 
I have not come as a beggar.
 
我不是来求乞的。
 
Only for a passing hour I stood at the end of your courtyard outside the garden hedge.
 
只为要消磨时光,我才来站在你院边的篱外。
 
Why do you put me to shame with a look?
 
为什么盯着我使我羞愧呢?
 
Not a rose did I gather from your garden, not a fruit did I pluck.
 
我没有从你园里采走一朵玫瑰,没有摘下一颗果子。
 
I humbly took my shelter under the wayside shade where every strange traveller may stand.
 
我谦卑地在任何生客都可站立的路边棚下,找个荫蔽。
 
Not a rose did I pluck.
 
我没有采走一朵玫瑰。
 
Yes, my feet were tried, and the shower of rain came down.
 
是的,我的脚疲乏了,骤雨又落了下来。
 
The winds cried out among the swaying bamboo branches.
 
风在摇曳的竹林中呼叫。
 
The clouds ran across the sky as though in the flight from defeat.
 
云阵像败退似地跑过天空。
 
My feet were tried.
 
我的脚疲乏了。
 
I know not what you thought of me or for whom you were waiting at your door.
 
我不知道你怎样看待我,或是你在门口等什么人。
 
Flashes of lighting dazzled your watching eyes.
 
闪电昏眩了你看望的目光。
 
How could I know that you could see me where I stood in the dark?
 
我怎能知道你会看到站在黑暗中的我呢?
 
I know not what you thought of me.
 
我不知道你怎样看待我。
 
The day is ended, and the rain has ceased for a moment.
 
白日过尽,雨势暂停。
 
I leave the shadow of the tree at the end of your garden and this seat on the grass.
 
我离开你园畔的树荫和草地上的座位。
 
It has darkened; shut your door; I go my way.
 
日光已暗;关上你的门户吧;我走我的路。
 
The day is ended.
 
白日过尽了。
 
54
 
Where do you hurry with your basket this late evening when the marketing is over?
 
市集已过,你在夜晚急急地提着篮子要到哪里去呢?
 
They all have come home with their burdens; the moon peeps from above the village trees.
 
他们都挑着担子回家去了;月亮从村树隙中下窥。
 
The echoes of the voices calling for the ferry run across the dark water to the distant swamp where wild ducks sleep.
 
唤船的回声从深黑的水上传到远处野鸭睡眠的泽沼。
 
Where do you hurry with your basket when the marketing is over?
 
在市集已过的时候,你提着篮子急忙地要到哪里去呢?
 
Sleep has laid her finger upon the eyes of the earth.
 
睡眠把她的手指按在大地的双眼上。
 
The nests of the crows have become silent, and the murmurs of the bamboo leaves are silent.
 
鸦巢已静,竹叶的微语也已沉默。
 
The laborers home from their fields spread their mats in the courtyards.
 
劳动的人们从田间归来,把席子展铺在院子里。
 
Where do you hurry with your basket when the marketing is over?
 
在市集已过的时候,你提着篮子急忙地要到哪里去呢?
 
55
 
It was mid-day when you went away.
 
正午的时候你走了。
 
The sun was strong in the sky.
 
烈日当空。
 
I had done my work and sat alone on my balcony when you went away.
 
当你走的时候,我已做完了工作,坐在凉台上。
 
Fitful gusts came winnowing through the smells of many distant fields.
 
不定的风吹来,含带着许多远野的香气。
 
The doves cooed tireless in the shade, and a bee strayed in my room humming the news of many distant fields.
 
鸽子在树荫中不停地叫唤,一只蜜蜂在我屋里飞着,嗡出许多远野的消息。
 
The village slept in the noonday heat. The road lay deserted.
 
村庄在午热中入睡了。路上无人。
 
In sudden fits the rustling of the leaves rose and died.
 
树叶的声音时起时息。
 
I gazed at the sky and wove in the blue the letters of a name I had known, while the village slept in the noonday heat.
 
我凝望天空,把一个我知道的人的名字织在蔚蓝里,当村庄在午热中入睡的时候。
 
I had forgotten to braid my hair. The languid breeze played with it upon my neck.
 
我忘记把头发编起。困倦的风在我颊上和它嬉戏。
 
The river ran unruffled under the shady bank.
 
河水在荫岸下平静地流着。
 
The lazy white clouds did not move.
 
懒散的白云动也不动。
 
I had forgotten to braid my hair.
 
我忘了编起我的头发。
 
It was mid-day when you went away.
 
正午的时候你走了。
 
The dust of the road was hot and the fields panting.
 
路上尘土灼热,田野在喘息。
 
The doves cooed among the dense leaves.
 
鸽子在密叶中呼唤。
 
I was alone in my balcony when you went away.
 
我独坐在凉台上,当你走的时候。
 
56
 
I was one among many women busy with the obscure daily tasks of the household.
 
我是妇女中为平庸的日常家务而忙碌的一个。
 
Why did you single me out and bring me away from the cool shelter of our common life?
 
你为什么把我挑选出来,把我从日常生活的凉荫中带出来?
 
Love unexpressed is sacred. It shines like gems in the gloom of the hidden heart. In the light of the curious day it looks

pitifully dark.
 
没有表现出来的爱是神圣的。它像宝石般在隐藏的心的朦胧里放光。在奇异的日光中,它显得可怜地晦暗。
 
Ah, you broke through the cover of my heart and dragged my trembling love into the open place, destroying for ever the shady

corner where it hid its nest.
 
呵,你打碎我心的盖子,把我颤栗的爱情拖到空旷的地方,把那阴暗的藏我心巢的一角永远破坏了。
 
The other women are the same as ever.
 
别的女人和从前一样。
 
No one has peeped into their inmost being, and they themselves know not their own secret.
 
没有一个人窥探到自己的最深处,她们不知道自己的秘密。
 
Lightly they smile, and weep, chatter, and work. Daily they go to the temple, light their lamps, and fetch water from the

river.
 
她们轻快地微笑,哭泣,谈话,工作。她们每天到庙里去,点上她们的灯,还到河中取水。
 
I hope my love would be saved from the shivering shame of the shelterless, but you turn your face away.
 
我希望能从无遮拦的颤羞中把我的爱情救出,但是你掉头不顾。
 
Yes, your path lies open before you, but you have cut off my return, and left me stripped naked before the world with its

lidless eyes staring night and day.
 
是的,你的前途是远大的,但是你把我的归路切断了,让我在世界的无睫毛的眼睛日夜瞪视之下赤裸着。
 
57
 
I plucked your flower, O world!
 
我采了你的花,呵,世界!
 
I pressed it to my heart and the thorn pricked.
 
我把它压在胸前,花刺伤了我。
 
When the day waned and it darkened, I found that the flower had faded, but the pain remained.
 
日光渐暗,我发现花儿凋谢了,痛苦却存留着。
 
More flowers will come to you with perfume and pride, O world!
 
许多有香有色的花又将来到你这里,呵,世界!
 
But my time for flower-gathering is over, and through the dark night I have not my rose, only the pain remains.
 
但是我采花的时代过去了,黑夜悠悠,我没有了玫瑰,只有痛苦存留着。
 
58
 
One morning in the flower garden a blind girl came to offer me a flower chain in the cover of a lotus leaf.
 
有一天早晨,一个盲女来献给我一串盖在荷叶下的花环。
 
I put it round my neck, and tears came to my eyes.
 
我把它挂在颈上,泪水涌上我的眼睛。
 
I kissed her and said, “You are blind even as the flowers are.
 
我吻了它,说:”你和花朵一样地盲目。”
 
“You yourself know not how beautiful is your gift.”
 
“你自己不知道你的礼物是多么美丽。”
 
59
 
O woman, you are not merely the handiwork of God, but also of men; these are ever endowing you with beauty from their

hearts.
 
呵,女人,你不但是神的,而且是人的手工艺品;他们永远从心里用美来打扮你。
 
Poets are weaving for you a web with threads of golden imagery; painters are giving your form ever new immortality.
 
诗人用比喻的金线替你织网,画家们给你的身形以永新的不朽。
 
The sea gives its pearls, the mines their gold, the summer gardens their flowers to deck you, to cover you, to make you

more precious.
 
海献上珍珠,矿献上金子,夏日的花园献上花朵来装扮你,覆盖你,使你更加美妙。
 
The desire of men’s hearts has shed its glory over your youth.
 
人类心中的愿望,在你的青春上洒上光荣……
 
You are one half woman and one half dream.
 
你一半是女人,一半是梦。
 
60
 
Amidst the rush and roar of life, O Beauty, carved in stone, you stand mute and still, alone and aloof.
 
在生命奔腾怒吼的中流,呵,石头雕或的”美”,你冷静无言,独自超绝地站立着。
 
Great Time sits enamoured at your feet and murmurs:
 
“伟大的时间”依恋地坐在你脚边低语说:
 
“Speak, speak to me, my love; speak, my bride!”
 
“说话吧,对我说话吧,我爱,说话吧,我的新娘!”
 
But your speech is shut up in stone, O Immovable Beauty!
 
但是你的话被石头关住了,呵,”不动的美”!
 
61
 
Peace, my heart, let the time for the parting be sweet.
 
安静吧,我的心,让别离的时间甜柔吧。
 
Let it not be a death but completeness.
 
让它不是个死亡,而是圆满。
 
Let love melt into memory and pain into songs.
 
让爱恋融入记忆,痛苦融入诗歌吧。
 
Let the flight through the sky end in the folding of the wings over the nest.
 
让穿越天空的飞翔在巢上敛翼中终止。
 
Let the last touch of your hands be gentle like the flower of the night.
 
让你双手的最后的接触,像夜中的花朵一样温柔。
 
Stand still, O Beautiful End, for a moment, and say your last words in silence.
 
站住一会吧,呵,”美丽的结局”,用沉默说出最后的话语吧。
 
I bow you and hold up my lamp to light you on your way.
 
我向你鞠躬,举起我的灯来照亮你的归途。
 
62
 
In the dusky path of a dream I went to seek the love who was mine in a former life.
 
在梦境的朦胧小路上,我去寻找我前生的爱。
 
Her house stood at the end of a desolate street.
 
她的房子是在冷静的街尾。
 
In the evening breeze her pet peacock sat drowsing on its perch, and the pigeons were silent in their corner.
 
在晚风中,她爱养的孔雀在架上昏睡,鸽子在自己的角落里沉默着。
 
She set her lamp down by the portal and stood before me.
 
她把灯放在门边,站在我面前。
 
She raised her large eyes to my face and mutely asked, “Are you well, my friend?”
 
她抬起一双大眼望着我的脸,无言地问道:”你好么,我的朋友?”
 
I tried to answer, but our language had been lost and forgotten.
 
我想回答,但是我们的语言迷失而又忘却了。
 
I thought and thought; our names would not come to my mind.
 
我想来想去,怎么也想不起我们叫什么名字。
 
Tears shone in her eyes. She held up her right hand to me. I took it and stood silent.
 
眼泪在她眼中闪光,她向我伸出右手。我握住她的手静默地站着。
 
Our lamp had flickered in the evening breeze and died.
 
我们的灯在晚风中颤摇着熄灭了。
 
63
 
Traveller, must you go?
 
行路人,你必须走么?
 
The night is still and the darkness swoons upon the forest.
 
夜是静寂的,黑暗在树林上昏睡。
 
The lamps are bright in our balcony, the flowers all fresh, and the youthful eyes still awake.
 
我们的凉台上灯火辉煌,繁花鲜美,青春的眼睛还清醒着。
 
Is the time for your parting come?
 
你离开的时间到了么?
 
Traveller, must you go?
 
行路人,你必须走么?
 
We have not bound your feet with our entreating arms.
 
我们不曾用恳求的手臂来抱住你的双足。
 
Your doors are open. Your horse stands saddled at the gate.
 
你的门开着。你的立在门外的马,也已上了鞍鞯。
 
If we have tried to bar your passage it was but with our songs.
 
如果我们想拦住你的去路,也只是用我们的歌曲。
 
Did we ever try to hold you back it was but with our eyes.
 
如果我们曾想挽留你,也只用我们的眼睛。
 
Traveller, we are helpless to keep you. We have only our tears.
 
行路人,我们没有希望留住你,我们只有眼泪。
 
What quenchless fire glows in your eyes?
 
在你眼里发光的是什么样的不灭之火?
 
What restless fever runs in your blood?
 
在你血管中奔流的是什么样的不宁的热力?
 
What call from the dark urges you?
 
从黑暗中有什么召唤在引动你?
 
What awful incantation have you read among the stars in the sky, that with a sealed secret message the night entered your

heart, silent and strange?
 
你从天上的星星中,念到什么可怕的咒语,就是黑夜沉默而异样地走进你心中时带来的那个密封的秘密的消息?
 
If you do not care for merry meetings, if you must have peace, weary heart, we shall put our lamps out and silence our

harps.
 
如果你不喜欢那热闹的集会,如果你需要安静,困乏的心呵,我们就吹灭灯火,停止琴声。
 
We shall sit still in the dark in the rustle of leaves, and the tired moon will shed pale rays on your window.
 
我们将在风叶声中静坐在黑暗里,倦乏的月亮将在你窗上洒上苍白的光辉。
 
O traveller, what sleepless spirit has touched you from the heart of the midnight?
 
呵,行路上,是什么不眠的精灵从中夜的心中和你接触了呢?
 
64
 
I spent my day on the scorching hot dust of the road.
 
我在大路灼热的尘土上消磨了一天。
 
Now, in the cool of the evening, I knock at the door of the inn. It is deserted and in ruins.
 
现在,在晚凉中我敲着一座小庙的门。这庙已经荒废倒塌了。
 
A grim ashath tree spreads its hungry clutching roots through the gaping fissures of the walks.
 
一棵愁苦的菩提树,从破墙的裂缝里伸展出饥饿的爪根。
 
Days have been when wayfarers came here to wash their weary feet.
 
从前曾有过路人到这里来洗疲乏的脚。
 
They spread their mats in the courtyard in the dim light of the early moon, and sat and talked of strange lands.
 
他们在新月的微光中在院里摊开席子,坐着谈论异地的风光。
 
They woke refreshed in the morning when birds made them glad, and friendly flowers nodded their heats at them from the

wayside.
 
早起他们精神恢复了,鸟声使他们欢悦,友爱的花儿在道边向他们点首。
 
But no lighted lamp awaited me when I came here.
 
但是当我来的时候没有灯在等待我。
 
The black smudges of smoke left by many a forgotten evening lamp stare, like blind eyes, from the wall.
 
只有残留的灯烟熏的黑迹,像盲人的眼睛,从墙上瞪视着我。
 
Fireflies flit in the bush near the dried-up pond, and bamboo branches fling their shadows on the grass-grown path.
 
萤虫在涸池边的草里闪烁,竹影在荒芜的小径上摇曳。
 
I am the guest of no one at the end of my day.
 
我在一天之末做了没有主人的客人。
 
The long night is before me, and I am tired.
 
在我面前的是漫漫的长夜,我疲倦了。
 
65
 
Is that your call again?
 
又是你呼唤我么?
 
The evening has come. Weariness clings round me like the arms of entreating love.
 
夜来到了,困乏像爱的恳求用双臂围抱住我。
 
Do you call me?
 
你叫我了么?
 
I had given all my day to you, cruel mistress, must you also rob me of my night?
 
我已把整天的工夫给了你,残忍的主妇,你还定要掠夺我的夜晚么?
 
Somewhere there is an end to everything, and the loneness of the dark is one’s own.
 
万事都有个终结,黑暗的静寂是个人独有的。
 
Must your voice cut through it and smite me?
 
你的声音定要穿透黑暗来刺击我么?
 
Has the evening no music of sleep at your gate?
 
难道你门前的夜晚没有音乐和睡眠么?
 
Do the silent-winged stars never climb the sky above your pitiless tower?
 
难道那翅翼不响的星辰,从来不攀登你的不仁之塔的上空么?
 
Do the flowers never drop on the dust in soft death in your garden?
 
难道你园中的花朵,永不在绵软的死亡中堕地么?
 
Must you call me, you unquiet one?
 
你定要叫我么,你这不安静的人?
 
Then let the sad eyes of love vainly watch and weep.
 
那就让爱的愁眼,徒然地因着盼望而流泪。
 
Let the lamp burn in the lonely house.
 
让灯盏在空屋里点着。
 
Let the ferry-boat take the weary labourers to their home.
 
让渡船载那些困乏的工人回家。
 
I leave behind my dreams and I hasten to your call.
 
我把梦想丢下,来奔赴我的召唤。
 
66
 
A wandering madman was seeking the touchstone, with matted locks, tawny and dust-laden, and body worn to a shadow, his lips

tight-pressed, like the shut-up doors of his heart, his burning eyes like the lamp of a glow-worm seeking its mate.
 
一个流浪的疯子在寻找点金石。他褐黄的头发乱蓬蓬地蒙着尘土,身体瘦得像个影子。他双唇紧闭,就像他的紧闭的心门。他的烧红的眼睛就像

萤火虫的灯亮在寻找他的爱侣。
 
Before him the endless ocean roared.
 
无边的海在他面前怒吼。
 
The garrulous waves ceaselessly talked of hidden treasures, mocking the ignorance that knew not their meaning.
 
喧哗的波浪,在不停地谈论那隐藏的珠宝,嘲笑那不懂得它们的意思的愚人。
 
Maybe he now had no hope remaining, yet he would not rest, for the search had become his life,——
 
也许现在他不再有希望了,但是他不肯休息,因为寻求变成他的生命——
 
Just as the ocean for ever lifts its arms to the sky for the unattainable——
 
就像海洋永远向天伸臂要求不可得到的东西——
 
Just as the stars go in circles, yet seeking a goal that can never be reached——
 
就像星辰绕着圈走,却要寻找一个永不能到达的目标——
 
Even so on the lonely shore the madman with dusty tawny locks still roamed in search of the touchstone.
 
在那寂寞的海边,那头发垢乱的疯子,也仍旧徘徊着寻找点金石。
 
One day a village boy came up and asked, “Tell me, where did you come at this golden chain about your waist?”
 
有一天,一个村童走上来问:”告诉我,你腰上的那条金链是从哪里来的呢?”
 
The madman started——the chain that once was iron was verily gold; it was not a dream, but he did not know when it had

changed.
 
疯子吓了一跳——那条本来是铁的链子真的变成金的了;这不是一场梦,但是他不知道是什么时候变成的
 
He struck his forehead wildly——where, O where had he without knowing it achieved success?
 
他狂乱地敲着自己的前额——什么时候,呵,什么时候在他的不知不觉之中得到成功了呢?
 
It had grown into a habit, to pick up pebbles and touch the chain, and to throw them away without looking to see if a change

had come; thus the madman found and lost the touchstone.
 
拾起小石去碰碰那条链子,然后不看看变化与否,又把它扔掉,这已成了习惯;就是这样,这疯子找到了又失掉了那块点金石。
 
The sun was sinking low in the west, the sky was of gold.
 
太阳西沉,天空灿金。
 
The madman returned on his footsteps to seek anew the lost treasure, with his strength gone, his body bent, and his heart in

the dust, like a tree uprooted.
 
疯子沿着自己的脚印走回,去寻找他失去的珍宝。他气力尽消,身体弯曲,他的心像连根拔起的树一样,萎垂在尘土里了。
 
67
 
Though the evening comes with slow steps and has signalled for all songs to cease;
 
虽然夜晚缓步走来,让一切歌声停歇;
 
Though your companions have gone to their rest and you are tired;
 
虽然我的伙伴都去休息而你也倦乏了;
 
Though fear broods in the dark and the face of the sky is veiled;
 
虽然恐怖在黑暗中弥漫,天空的险也被面纱遮起;
 
Yet, bird, O my bird, listen to me, do not close your wings.
 
但是,鸟儿,我的鸟儿,听我的话,不要垂翅吧。
 
That is not the gloom of the leaves of the forest, that is the sea swelling like a dark black snake.
 
这不是林中树叶的阴影,这是大海涨溢,像一条深黑的龙蛇。
 
That is not the dance of the flowering jasmine, that is flashing foam.
 
这不是盛开的茉莉花的跳舞,这是闪光的水沫。
 
Ah, where is the sunny green shore, where is your nest?
 
呵,何处是阳光下的绿岸,何处是你的窝巢?
 
Bird, O my bird, listen to me, do not close your wings.
 
鸟儿,呵,我的鸟儿,听我的话,不要垂翅吧。
 
The lone night lies along your path, the dawn sleeps behind the shadowy hills.
 
长夜躺在你的路边,黎明在朦胧的山后睡眠。
 
The stars hold their breath counting the hours, the feeble moon swims the deep night.
 
星辰屏息地数着时间,柔弱的月儿在夜中浮泛。
 
Bird, O my bird, listen to me, do not close your wings.
 
鸟儿,呵,我的鸟儿,听我的话,不要垂翅吧。
 
There is no hope, no fear for you.
 
对于你,这里没有希望,没有恐怖。
 
There is no word, no whisper, no cry.
 
这里没有消息,没有低语,没有呼唤。
 
There is no home, no bed of rest.
 
这里没有家,没有休息的床。
 
There is only your own pair of wings and the pathless sky.
 
这里只有你自己的一双翅翼和无路的天空。
 
Bird, O my bird, listen to me, do not close your wings.
 
鸟儿,呵,我的鸟儿,听我的话,不要垂翅吧。
 
68
 
None lives for ever, brother, and nothing lasts for long. Keep that in mind and rejoice.
 
没有人永远活着,兄弟,没有东西可以经久。把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。
 
Our life is not the one old burden, our path is not the one long journey.
 
我们的生命不是那个旧的负担,我们的道路不是那条长的旅程。
 
One sole poet has not to sing one aged song.
 
一个单独的诗人,不必去唱一支旧歌。
 
The flower fades and dies; but he who wears the flower has not to mourn for it for ever.
 
花儿萎谢;但是戴花的人不必永远悲伤。
 
Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.
 
弟兄,把这个紧记在心及时行乐吧。
 
There must come a full pause to weave perfection into music.
 
必须有一段完全的停歇,好把”圆满”编进音乐。
 
Life droops toward its sunset to be drowned in the golden shadows.
 
生命向它的黄昏下落,为了沉浸于金影之中。
 
Love must be called from its play to drink sorrow and be borne to the heaven of tears.
 
必须从游戏中把”爱”招回,去饮忧伤之酒,再去生于泪天。
 
Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.
 
弟兄,把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。
 
We hasten to gather our flowers lest they are plundered by the passing winds.
 
我们忙去采花,怕被过路的风偷走。
 
It quickens our blood and brightens our eyes to snatch kisses that would vanish if we delayed.
 
去夺取稍纵即逝的接吻,使我们血液奔流双目发光。
 
Our life is eager, our desires are keen, for time tolls the bell of parting.
 
我们的生命是热切的,愿望是强烈的,因为时间在敲着离别之钟。
 
Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.
 
弟兄,把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。
 
There is not time for us to clasp a thing and crush it and fling it away to the dust.
 
我们没有时间去把握一件事物,揉碎它又把它丢在地上。
 
The hours trip rapidly away, hiding their dreams in their skirts.
 
时间急速地走过,把梦幻藏在裙底。
 
Our life is short; it yields but a few days for love.
 
我们的生命是短促的,只有几天恋爱的工夫。
 
Were it for work and drudgery it would be endlessly long.
 
若是为工作和劳役,生命就变得无尽的漫长。
 
Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.
 
弟兄,把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。
 
Beauty is sweet to us, because she dances to the same fleeting tune with our lives.
 
美对我们是甜柔的,因为她和我们生命的快速调子应节舞蹈。
 
Knowledge is precious to us, because we shall never have time to complete it.
 
知识对我们是宝贵的,因为我们永不会有时间去完成它。
 
All is done and finished in the eternal Heaven.
 
一切都在永生的天上做完。
 
But earth’s flowers of illusion are kept eternally fresh by death.
 
但是大地的幻象的花朵,却被死亡保持得永远新鲜。
 
Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.
 
弟兄,把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。
 
69
 
I hunt for the golden stag.
 
我要追逐金鹿。
 
You may smile, my friends, but I pursue the vision that eludes me.
 
你也许会讪笑,我的朋友,但是我追求那逃避我的幻象。
 
I run across hills and dales, I wander through nameless lands, because I am hunting for the golden stag.
 
我翻山越谷,我游遍许多无名的土地,因为我要追逐金鹿。
 
You come and buy in the market and go back to your homes laden with goods, but the spell of the homeless winds has touched me

I know not when and where.
 
你到市场采买,满载着回家,但不知从何时何地一阵无家之风吹到我身上。
 
I have no care in my heart; all my belongings I have left far behind me.
 
我心中无牵无挂;我把一切所有都撇在后面。
 
I run across hills and dales, I wander through nameless lands——because I am hunting for the golden stag.
 
我翻山越谷,我游遍许多无名的土地——因为我在追逐金鹿。
 
70
 
I remember a day in my childhood I floated a paper boat in the ditch.
 
我记得在童年时代,有一天我在水沟里漂一只纸船。
 
It was a wet of July; I was alone and happy over my play.
 
那是七月的一个阴湿的天,我独自快乐地嬉戏。
 
I floated my paper boat in the ditch.
 
我在沟里漂一只纸船。
 
Suddenly the storm clouds thickened, winds came in gusts, and rain poured in torrents.
 
忽然间阴云密布,狂风怒号,大雨倾注。
 
Rills of muddy water rushed and swelled the stream and sunk my boat.
 
浑水像小河般流溢,把我的船冲没了。
 
Bitterly I thought in my mind that the storm came on purpose to spoil my happiness; all its malice was against me.
 
我心里难过地想:这风暴是故意来破坏我的快乐的,它的一切恶意都是对着我的。
 
The cloudy July day is long today, and I have been musing over all those games in life wherein I was loser.
 
今天,七月的阴天是漫长的,我在默忆我生命中以我为失败者的一切游戏。
 
I was blaming my fate for the many tricks it played on me, when suddenly I remembered the paper boat that sank in the ditch.
 
我抱怨命运,因为它屡次戏弄了我,当我忽然忆起我的沉在沟里的纸船的时候。
 
71
 
The day is not yet alone, the fair is not over, the fair on the river-bank.
 
白日未尽,河岸上的市集未散。
 
I had feared that my time had been squandered and my last penny lost.
 
我只恐我的时间浪掷了,我的最后一文钱也丢掉了。
 
But no, my brother, I have still something left. My fate has not cheated me of everything.
 
但是,没有,我的兄弟,我还有些剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。
 
The selling and buying are over.
 
买卖做完了。
 
All the dues on both sides have been gathered in, and it is time for me to go home.
 
两边的手续费都收过了,该是我回家的时候了。
 
But, gatekeeper, do you ask for your toll?
 
但是,看门的,你要你的辛苦钱么?
 
Do not fear, I have still something left. My fate has not cheated me of everything.
 
别怕,我还有点剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。
 
The lull in the wind threatens storm, and the lowering clouds in the west bode no good.
 
风声宣布着风暴的威胁,西方低垂的云影预报着恶兆。
 
The hushed water waits for the wind.
 
静默的河水在等候着狂风。
 
I hurry to cross the river before the night overtakes me.
 
我怕被黑夜赶上,急忙过河。
 
O ferryman, you want your fee!
 
呵,船夫,你要收费!
 
Yes, brother, I have still something left. My fate has not cheated me of everything.
 
是的,兄弟,我还有些剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。
 
In the wayside under the tree sits the beggar. Alas, he looks at my face with a timid hope!
 
路边树下坐着一个乞丐。可怜呵,他含着羞怯的希望看着我的脸!
 
He thinks I am rich with the day’s profit.
 
他以为我富足地携带着一天的利润。
 
Yes, brother, I have still something left. My fate has not cheated me for everything.
 
是的,兄弟,我还有点剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。
 
The night grows dark and the road lonely. Fireflies gleam among the leaves.
 
夜色愈深,路上静寂。萤火在草间闪烁。
 
Who are you that follow me with stealthy silent steps?
 
谁以悄悄的蹑步在跟着我?
 
Ah, I know, it is your desire to rob me of all my gains. I will not disappoint you!
 
呵,我知道,你想掠夺我的一切获得。我必不使你失望!
 
For I still have something left, and my fate has not cheated me of everything.
 
因为我还有些剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。
 
At midnight I reach home. My hands are empty.
 
夜半到家。我两手空空。
 
You are waiting with anxious eyes at my door, sleepless and silent.
 
你带着切望的眼睛,在门前等我,无眠而静默。
 
Like a timorous bird you fly to my breast with eager love.
 
像一只羞怯的鸟,你满怀热爱地飞到我胸前。
 
Ay, ay, my God, much remains still. My fate has not cheated me of everything.
 
叹,哎,我的神,我还有许多剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。
 
72
 
With days of hard travail I raised a temple. It had no doors or windows, its walls were thickly built with massive stones.
 
用了几天的苦工,我盖起一座庙宇。这庙里没有门窗,墙壁是用层石厚厚地垒起的。
 
I forgot all else, I shunned all the world, I gazed in rapt contemplation at the image I had set upon the altar.
 
我忘掉一切,我躲避大千世界,我神注目夺地凝视着我安放在龛里的偶像。
 
It was always night inside, and lit by the lamps of perfumed oil.
 
里面永远是黑夜,以香油的灯盏来照明。
 
The ceaseless smoke of incense wound my heart in its heavy coils.
 
不断的香烟,把我的心缭绕在沉重的螺旋里。
 
Sleepless, I carved on the walls fantastic figures in mazy bewildering lines——winged horses, flowers with human faces,

woman with limbs like serpents.
 
我彻夜不眠,用扭曲混乱的线条在墙上刻画出一些奇异的图形——生翼的马,人面的花。四肢像蛇的女人。
 
No passage was left anywhere through which could enter the song of birds, the murmur of leaves or hum of the busy village.
 
我不在任何地方留下一线之路,使鸟的歌声,叶的细语,或村镇的喧嚣得以进入。
 
The only sound that echoed in its dark dome was that of incantations which I chanted.
 
在沉黑的仰顶上,唯一的声音是我礼赞的回响。
 
My mind became keen and still like a pointed flame, my senses swooned in ecstasy.
 
我的心思变得强烈而镇定,像一个尖尖的火焰。我的感官在狂欢中昏晕。
 
I knew not how time passed till the thunderstone had struck the temple, and a pain stung me through the heart.
 
我不知时间如何度过,直到巨雷震劈了这座庙宇,一阵剧痛刺穿我的心。
 
The lamp looked pale and ashamed; the carvings on the walls, like chained dreams, stared meaningless in the light as they

fain hide themselves.
 
灯火显得苍白而羞愧;墙上的刻画像是被锁住的梦,无意义地瞪视着,仿佛要躲藏起来。
 
I looked at the image on the altar. I saw it smiling and alive with the living touch of God. The night I had imprisoned had

spread its wings and vanished.
 
我看着龛上的偶像,我看见它微笑了,和神的活生生的接触,它活了起来。被我囚禁的黑夜,展起翅来飞逝了。
 
73
 
Infinite wealth is not yours, my patient and dusky mother dust!
 
无量的财富不是你的,我的耐心的微黑的尘土母亲。
 
You toil to fill the mouths of your children, but food is scarce.
 
你操劳着来填满你孩子们的嘴,但是粮食是很少的。
 
The gift of gladness that you have for us is never perfect.
 
你给我们的欢乐礼物,永远不是完全的。
 
The toys that you make for your children are fragile.
 
你给你孩子们做的玩具,是不牢的。
 
You cannot satisfy all our hungry hopes, but should I desert you for that?
 
你不能满足我们的一切渴望,但是我能为此就背弃你么?
 
Your smile which is shadowed with pain is sweet to my eyes.
 
你的含着痛苦阴影的微笑,对我的眼睛是甜柔的。
 
Your love which knows not fulfilment is dear to my heart.
 
你的永不满足的爱,对我的心是亲切的。
 
From your breast you have fed us with life but not immortality, that is why your eyes are ever wakeful.
 
从你的胸乳里,你是以生命而不是以不朽来哺育我们,因此你的眼睛永远是警醒的。
 
For ages you are working with colour and song, yet your heaven is not built, but only its sad suggestion.
 
你累年积代地用颜色和诗歌来工作,但是你的天堂还没有盖起,仅有天堂的愁苦的意味。
 
Over your creations of beauty there is the mist of tears.
 
你的美的创造上蒙着泪雾。
 
I will pour my songs into your mute heart, and my love into your love.
 
我将把我的诗歌倾注入你无言的心里,把我的爱倾注入你的爱中。
 
I will worship you with labour.
 
我将用劳动来礼拜你。
 
I have seen your tender face and I love your mournful dust, Mother Earth.
 
我看见过你的温慈的面庞,我爱你的悲哀的尘土,大地母亲。
 
74
 
In the world’s audience hall, the simple blade of grass sits on the same carpet with the sunbeam and the of the midnight.
 
在世界的谒见堂里,一根朴素的草叶,和阳光与夜半的星辰坐在同一条毡褥上。
 
Thus my songs share their seats in the heart of the world with the music of the clouds and forests.
 
我的诗歌,也这样地和云彩与森林的音乐,在世界的心中平分席次。
 
But, you man of iches, your wealth has no part in the simple grandeur of the sun’s glad gold and the mellow gleam of the

musing moon.
 
但是,你这富有的人,你的财富,在太阳的喜悦的金光和沉思的月亮的柔光这种单纯的光彩里,却占不了一份。
 
The blessing of the all-embracing sky is not shed upon it.
 
包罗万象的天空的祝福,没有洒在它的上面。
 
And when death appears, it pales and withers and crumbles into dust.
 
等到死亡出现的时候,它就苍白枯萎,碎成尘土了。
 
75
 
At midnight the would-be ascetic announced:
 
夜半,那个自称的苦行人宣告说:
 
“This is the time to give up my home and seek for God. Ah, who has held me so long in delusion here?”
 
“弃家求神的时候到了。呵,谁把我牵住在妄想里这么久呢?”
 
God whispered, “I,” but the ears of the man were stopped.
 
神低声道:”是我。”但是这个人的耳朵是塞住的。
 
With a baby asleep at her breast lay his wife, peacefully sleeping on one side of the bed.
 
他的妻子和吃奶的孩子一同躺着,安静地睡在床的那边。
 
The man said, “Who are you that have fooled me so long?”
 
这个人说:”什么人把我骗了这么久呢?”
 
The voice said again, “They are God,” but he heard if not.
 
声音又说:”是神。”但是他听不见。
 
The baby cried out in its dream, nesting close to its mother.
 
婴儿在梦中哭了,挨向他的母亲。
 
God commanded, “Stop, fool, leave not thy home,” but still he heart not.
 
神命令说:”别走,傻子,不要离开你的家。”但是他还是听不见。
 
God sighed and complained, “Why does my servant wander to seek me, forsaking me?”
 
神叹息又委屈地说:”为什么我的仆人要把我丢下,而到处去找我呢?”
 
76
 
The fire was on before the temple.
 
庙前的集会正在进行。
 
It had rained from the early morning and the day came to its end.
 
从一早起就下雨,这一天快过尽了。
 
Brighter than all the gladness of the crowd was the bright smile of a girl who bought for a farthing a whistle of palm leaf.
 
比一切群众的欢乐还光辉的,是一个花一文钱买到一个棕叶哨子的小女孩的光辉的微笑。
 
The shrill joy of that whistle floated above all laughter and noise.
 
哨子的尖脆欢乐的声音,在一切笑语喧哗之上飘浮。
 
An endless throng of people came and jostled together. The road was muddy, the river in flood, the field under water in

ceaseless rain.
 
无尽的人流挤在一起,路上泥泞,河水在涨,雨在不停地下着,田地都没在水里。
 
Greater than all the troubles of the crowd was a little boy’s trouble——he had not a farthing to buy a painted stick.
 
比一切群众的烦恼更深的,是一个小男孩的烦恼——他连买那根带颜色的小棍的一文钱都没有。
 
His wistful eyes gazing at the shop made this whole meeting of men so pitiful.
 
他苦闷的眼睛望着那间小店,使得这整个人类的集会变成可悲悯的。
 
77
 
The workman and his wife from the west country are busy digging to make bricks of the kiln.
 
西乡来的工人和他的妻子正忙着替砖窖挖土。
 
Their little daughter goes to the landing-place by the river; there she has no end of scouring and scrubbing of the pots and

pans.
 
他们的小女儿到河边的渡头上;她无休无息地擦洗锅盘。
 
Her littler brother, with shaven head and brown, naked mud-covered limbs, follows after her and waits patiently on the high

bank at her bidding.
 
她的小弟弟,光着头,赤裸着黧黑的涂满泥土的身躯,跟着她,听她的话,在高高的河岸上耐心地等着她。
 
She goes back home with the full pitcher poised on her head, the shining brass pot in her left hand, holding the child with

her right——she the tiny servant of her mother, grave with the weight of the household cares.
 
她顶着满瓶的水,平稳地走回家去,左手提着发亮的铜壶,右手拉着那个孩子——
 
她是妈妈的小丫头,繁重的家务使她变得严肃了。
 
One day I saw this naked boy sitting with legs outstretched.
 
有一天我看见那赤裸的孩子伸着腿坐着,
 
In the water his sister sat rubbing a drinking-pot with a handful of earth, turning it round and round.
 
他姐姐坐在水里,用一把土在转来转去地擦洗一把水壶。
 
Near by a soft-haired lamb stood gazing along the bank.
 
一只毛茸茸的小羊,在河岸上吃草。
 
It came close to where the boy sat and suddenly bleated aloud, and the child started up and screamed.
 
它走过这孩子身边,忽然大叫了一声,孩子吓得哭喊起来。
 
His sister left off cleaning her pot and ran up.
 
他姐姐放下水壶跑上岸来。
 
She took up her brother in one arm and the lamb in the other, and dividing her caresses between them bound in one bond of

affection the offspring of beast and man.
 
她一只手抱起弟弟,一只手抱起小羊,把她的爱抚分成两半,人类和动物的后代在慈爱的连结中合一了。
 
78
 
It was in May. The sultry noon seemed endlessly long. The dry earth gaped with thirst in the heat.
 
在五月天里,闷热的正午仿佛无尽地悠长。干地在灼热中渴得张着口。
 
When I heard from the riverside a voice calling, “Come, my darling!”
 
当我听到河边有个声音叫道:”来吧,我的宝贝!”
 
I shut my book and opened the window to look out.
 
我合上书开窗外视。
 
I saw a big buffalo with mud-stained hide, standing near the river with placid, patient eyes; and a youth, kneedeep in

water, calling it to its bath.
 
我看见一只皮毛上尽是泥土的大水牛,眼光沉着地站在河边;一个小伙子站在没膝的水里,在叫它去洗澡。
 
I smiled amused and felt a touch of sweetness in my heart.
 
我高兴而微笑了,我心里感到一阵甜柔的接触。
 
79
 
I often wonder where lie hidden the boundaries of recognition between man and the beast whose heart knows no spoken language.
 
我常常思索,人和动物之间没有语言,他们心中互相认识的界线在哪里。
 
Through what primal paradise in a remote morning of creation ran the simple path by which their hearts visited each other.
 
在远古创世的清晨,通过哪一条太初乐园的单纯的小径,他们的心曾彼此访问过。
 
Those marks of their constant tread have not been effaced though their kinship has been long forgotten.
 
他们的亲属关系早被忘却,他们不变的足印的符号并没有消灭。
 
Yet suddenly in some wordless music the dim memory wakes up and the beast gazes into the man’s face with a tender trust, and

the man looks down into its eyes with amused affection.
 
可是忽然在些无言的音乐中,那模糊的记忆清醒起来,动物用温柔的信任注视着人的脸,人也用嬉笑的感情下望着它的眼睛。
 
It seems that the two friends meet masked and vaguely know each other through the disguise.
 
好像两个朋友戴着面具相逢,在伪装下彼此模糊地互认着。
 
80
 
Wit a glance of your eyes you could plunder all the wealth of songs struck from poets’ harps, fair woman!
 
用一转的秋波,你能从诗人的琴弦上夺去一切诗歌的财富,美妙的女人!
 
But for their praises you have no ear, therefore I come to praise you.
 
但是你不愿听他们的赞扬,因此我来颂赞你。
 
You could humble at your feet the proudest heads in the world.
 
你能使世界上最骄傲的头在你脚前俯伏。
 
But it is your loved ones, unknown to fame, whom you choose to worship, therefore I worship you.
 
但是你愿意崇拜的是你所爱的没有名望的人们,因此我崇拜你。
 
The perfection of your arms would add glory to kingly splendour with their touch.
 
你的完美的双臂的接触,能在帝王荣光上加上光荣。
 
But you use them to sweep away the dust, and to make clean your humble home, therefore I am filled with awe.
 
但你却用你的手臂去扫除尘土,使你微贱的家庭整洁,因此我心中充满了钦敬。
 
81
 
Why do you whisper so faintly in my ears, O Death, my Death?
 
你为什么这样低声地对我耳语,呵,”死亡”,我的”死亡”?
 
When the flowers droop in the evening and cattle come back to their stalls, you stealthily come to my side and speak words

that I do not understand.
 
当花儿晚谢,牛儿归棚,你偷偷地走到我身边,说出我不了解的话语。
 
Is this how you must woo and win me with the opiate of drowsy murmur and cold kisses, O Death, my Death?
 
难道你必须用昏沉的微语和冰冷的接吻来向我求爱,来赢得我心么,呵,”死亡”,我的”死亡”?
 
Will there be no proud ceremony for our wedding?
 
我们的婚礼不会有铺张的仪式么?
 
Will you not tie up with a wreath your tawny coiled locks?
 
在你褐黄的卷发上不系上花串么?
 
Is there none to carry your banner before you, and will not the night be on fire with your red torch-lights, O Death, my

Death?
 
在你前面没有举旗的人么?你也没有通红的火炬,使黑夜像着火一样地明亮么,呵,”死亡”,我的”死亡”?
 
Come with your conch-shells sounding, come in the sleepless night.
 
你吹着法螺来吧,在无眠之夜来吧。
 
Dress me with a crimson mantle, grasp my hand and take me.
 
给我穿上红衣,紧握我的手把我娶走吧。
 
Let your chariot be ready at my door with your horses neighing impatiently.
 
让你的驾着急躁嘶叫的马的车辇,准备好等在我门前吧。
 
Raise my veil and look at my face proudly, O Death, my Death!
 
揭开我的面纱骄傲地看我的脸吧,呵,”死亡”,我的”死亡”.
 
82
 
We are to play the game of death to-night, my bride and I.
 
我们今夜要做”死亡”的游戏,我的新娘和我。
 
The night is black, the clouds in the sky are capricious, and the waves are raving at sea.
 
夜是深黑的,空中的云霾是翻腾的,波涛在海里泡哮。
 
We have left our bed of dreams, flung open the door and come out, my bride and I.
 
我们离开梦的床榻,推门出去,我的新娘和我。
 
We sit upon a swing, and the storm winds give us a wild push from behind.
 
我们坐在秋千上,狂风从后面猛烈地推送我们。
 
My bride and starts up with fear and delight, she trembles and clings to my breast.
 
我的新娘吓得又惊又喜,她颤抖着紧靠在我的胸前。
 
Long have I served her tenderly.
 
许多日子我温存服侍她。
 
I made for her a bed of flowers and I closed the doors to shut out the rude light from her eyes.
 
我替她铺一个花床,我关上门不让强烈的光射在她眼上。
 
I kissed her gently on her lips and whispered softly in her ears till she half swooned in languor.
 
我轻轻地吻她的嘴唇,软软地在她耳边低语,直到她困倦得半入昏睡。
 
She was lost in the endless mist of vague sweetness.
 
她消失在模糊的无边甜柔的云雾之中。
 
She answered not to my touch, my songs filed to arouse her.
 
我摩抚她,她没有反应;我的歌唱也不能把她唤醒。
 
To-night has come to us the call of the storm from the wild.
 
今夜,风暴的召唤从旷野来到。
 
My bride has shivered and stood up, she has clasped my hand and come out.
 
我的新娘颤抖着站起,她牵着我的手走了出来。
 
Her hair is flying in the wind, her veil is fluttering, her garland rustles over her breast.
 
她的头发在风中飞扬,她的面纱飘动,她的花环在胸前悉悉作响。
 
The push of death has swung her into life.
 
死亡的推送把她摇晃活了。
 
We are face to face and heart to heart, my bride and I.
 
我们面面相看,心心相印,我的新娘和我。
 
83
 
She dwelt on the hillside by the edge of a maize-field, near the spring that flows in laughing rills through the solemn

shadows of ancient trees. The women came there to fill their jars, and travellers would sit there to rest and talk. She worked

and dreamed daily to the tune of the bubbling stream.
 
她住在玉米地边的山畔,靠近那股嬉笑着流经古树的庄严的阴影的清泉。女人们提罐到这里装水,过客们在这里谈话休息。她每天随着潺潺的泉

韵工作幻想。
 
One evening the stranger came down from the cloud-hidden peak; his locks were tangled like drowsy snakes. We asked in wonder,

“Who are you?” He answered not but sat by the garrulous stream and silently gazed at the hut where she dwelt. Our hearts

quaked in fear and we came back home when it was night.
 
有一天,一个陌生人从云中的山上下来;她的头发像醉蛇一样的纷乱。我们惊奇地问:”你是谁?”他不回答,只坐在喧闹的水边,沉默地望着她

的茅屋。我们吓得心跳。到了夜里,我们都回家去了。
 
Next morning when the women came to fetch water at the spring by the deodar trees, they found the doors open in her hut, but

her voice was gone and where was her smiling face?
 
第二天早晨,女人们到杉树下的泉边取水,她们发现她茅屋的门开着,但是,她的声音没有了,她微笑的脸哪里去了呢?
 
The empty jar lay on the floor and her lamp had burnt itself our in the corner. No one knew where she had fled to before it was

morning——and the stranger had gone.
 
空罐立在地上,她屋角的灯,油尽火灭了。没有人晓得在黎明以前她跑到哪里去了——那个陌生人也不见了。
 
In the month of May the sun grew strong and the snow melted, and we sat by the spring and wept. We wondered in our mind, “Is

there a spring in the land where she has gone and where she can fill her vessel in these hot thirsty days?” And we asked each

other in dismay, “Is there a land beyond these hills where we live?”
 
到了五月,阳光渐强,冰雪化尽,我们坐在泉边哭泣。我们心里想:”她去的地方有泉水么,在这炎热焦渴的天气中,她能到哪里去取水呢?”我

们惶恐地对问:”在我们住的山外还有地方么?”
 
It was a summer night; the breeze blew from the south; and I sat in her deserted room where the lamp stood still unlit. When

suddenly from before my eyes the hills vanished like curtains drawn aside. “Ah, it is she who comes. How are you, my child?

Are you happy? But where can you shelter under this open sky? And, alas, our spring is not here to allay your thirst.”
 
夏天的夜里,微风从南方吹来;我坐在她的空屋里,没有点上的灯仍在那里立着。忽然间那座山峰,像帘幕拉开一样从我眼前消失了。”呵,那是

她来了。你好么,我的孩子?你快乐么?在无遮的天空下,你有个荫凉的地方么?可怜呵,我们的泉水不在这里供你解渴。”
 
“Here is the same sky,” she said, “only free from the fencing hills, ——this is the same stream grown into a plain.”

“Everything is here,” I sighed, “only we are not.” She smiled sadly and said, “You are in my heart.” I woke up and heard the

babbling of the stream and the rustling of the deodars at night.
 
“那边还是那个天空,”她说,”只是不受屏山的遮隔,——也还是那股流泉长成江河,——也还是那片土地伸广变成平原。””一切都有了,”我叹

息说,”只有我们不在。”她含愁地笑着说:”你们是在我的心里。”我醒起听见泉流潺潺,杉树的叶子在夜中沙沙地响着。
 
84
 
Over the green and yellow rice-fields sweep the shadows of the autumn clouds followed by the swift-chasing sun.
 
黄绿的稻田上掠过秋云的阴影,后面是狂追的太阳。
 
The bees forget to sip their honey; drunken with light they foolishly hover and hum.
 
蜜蜂被光明所陶醉,忘了吸蜜,只痴呆地飞翔嗡唱。
 
The ducks in the islands of the river clamour in joy for mere nothing.
 
河里岛上的鸭群,无缘无故地欢乐地吵闹。
 
Let none go back home, brothers, this morning, let none go to work.
 
我们都不回家吧,兄弟们,今天早晨我们都不去工作。
 
Let us take the blue sky by storm and plunder space as we run.
 
让我们以狂风暴雨之势占领青天,让我们飞奔着抢夺空间吧。
 
Laughter floats in the air like foam on the flood.
 
笑声飘浮在空气上,像洪水上的泡沫。
 
Brothers, let us squander our morning in futile songs.
 
弟兄们,让我们把清晨浪费在无用的歌曲上面吧。
 
85
 
Who are you, reader, reading my poems an hundred years hence?
 
你是什么人,读者,百年后读着我的诗?
 
I cannot send you one single flower from this wealth of the spring, one single streak of gold from yonder clouds.
 
我不能从春天的财富里送你一朵花,天边的云彩里送你一片金影。
 
Open your doors and look abroad.
 
开起门来四望吧。
 
From your blossoming garden gather fragrant memories of the vanished flowers of an hundred years before.
 
从你的群花盛开的园子里,采取百年前消逝了的花儿的芬芳记忆。
 
In the joy of your heart may you feel the living joy that sang one spring morning, sending its glad voice across an hundred

years.
 
在你心的欢乐里,愿我感到一个春晨吟唱的活的欢乐,把它快乐的声音,传过一百年的时间。


尚仁诗歌网 , 版权所有丨如未注明 , 均为原创丨本网站采用BY-NC-SA协议进行授权 , 禁止转载,本文地址:泰戈尔园丁集-中英对照版
喜欢 (2)
发表我的评论
取消评论
表情 加粗 删除线 居中 斜体 签到

Hi,您需要填写昵称和邮箱!

  • 昵称 (必填)
  • 邮箱 (必填)
  • 网址